Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Socket Repair  (Read 7032 times)

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
My Socket Repair
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:02:37 AM »
Here is my leg socket repair experience. I have read about it on here and seen a photo or two. I thought I would share my experience with you.

Here is the loose socket. 1 "tab" weld was broken/rusted loose.  It's there on the right, you can almost see a gap.

Different angle with a piece of paper between the socket and bowl to show the weld is definitely no there any longer.

Hardware I used. All stainless. 6 - 32 nuts, bolts and washers.  I used pan head screws 3/4" long.  5/8" would probably work.  Maybe even 1/2". 

Drilled out. The bit wants to run a little, but there is a nice dimple to hold it, from the spot weld. I just tried to make sure I stayed as far from the edge as possible so I had enough "meat" left to be secure and the washer have contact all the way around.  I used a #36 bit, but this size is only if you are going to tap it. If you are not going to tap it, you will need a larger one.  You need a #27 if you are not going to tap it AND use 6-32 hardware.

Tapping it with 6-32 tap.

Inside with screw, washer and 1 nut.  I made sure I pushed down and closed the gap when I put the screw in, then put a nut on it.

Double nut, with some loc-tite red. Do not try this at home.  The loc-tite will probably give off BAD FUMES and cause cancer and all kinds of icky yucky bad stuff.

The outside view.

Again, this is my experience. Yours may be different.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:07:19 AM by TheFinkFarm »
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My Socket Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 06:27:39 AM »

Thanks for the step-by-step......

came out just fine & will keep the other welds from working loose.......

I've had good luck tapping an easy little punch or two with an awl to keep the drill from wandering 

This one needs to go on the front page to help the general public do repairs....... :)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:18:57 AM »
Fixed that socket right up...good job!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 09:50:57 AM »
Nice repair job and step by step. Thanks!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »
Nice work! This step by step process should be archived in a "repairs" section here on the site.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
Troy....Oh Troy....... repairs section STAT!
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X