Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle covers (Review of Weber Brand Kettle covers and alternatives)  (Read 8276 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Opinions differ on covering a kettle, for me, I do it.

When it comes to Weber Kettle covers traditionally there have been two offerings, the standard and premium versions

Standard version on my 18 mini(long because the 18 has been trimmed) (22 version 7451)

Premium on my 22 '76 Red kettle (7453 Discontinued)

As a rule, I have stayed away from the standard one unless I have nothing else in stock as they are very cheap and flimsy.  Do not expect them to last a winter esp if you plan to use the kettle.  They can be had for very cheap, found on clearance for under $5

While the Premium version is constructed better it does have it's limitations.

One of them being it's tight fit on a Master-touch below is a pic on my 1995 Master-touch.

To compensate some have resorted to non Weber covers as shown below. 

This is a cover from Menards (Home Store in Midwest locations), cost is 16.99 very durable and comes with some nice features not found on the traditional Weber covers like a handle on top, straps to tighten at the bottom and holes that can be used to further secure the cover.

This cover is listed as 29 inches and fits an older style 26 kettle with a slide aside very comfortably

Enter the 2015 Master-touch with the width and the additional height Weber needed to find a way to cover these beauties.

All the new Weber covers come with the ability to stuff them in this convenient bag, initially I thought so what, but I like the ability to out it away in a convenient bag when guest are over.

Initial concern with these covers, longevity, it seems like a hybrid between the standard and premium covers that Weber has offered.  Weber has assured its customers that these will stand the test of time, time will only tell.

Before I show the new cover on the Master-touch first a quick look at the insides of the Weber Premium, Menards cover and New Weber Master-touch cover.

Weber Premium

Menards cover

New Weber Master-touch(and others)

On to the cover

As you can see it fits like a glove as we should expect.

A couple of nice features

Handle on top to easily lift off

A strap at the bottom to keep this light cover from blowing away, @ 29.99 it is nice to know it will not be swept away in a hard wind, unless your kettle gets swept away.

Personally I like the cover, I like seeing Weber branded on the cover of my treasured kettles, questions remain are they durable? Is it worth the money compared to the alternatives out there? That is going to be the question, not only is the one for the Master-Touch priced @ $29.99 for so are the ones for the Original and Premium model 22" (57cm) kettles.  We all understand inflation but it feels like the bean counters took over to lower the quality at a higher price with extras that are nice but may or may not be needed.

Other covers to consider Veranda makes a very high quality cover, while I have never seen the one for a kettle, I did purchase one for a gasser last fall and was very impressed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:26:58 PM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Cochise

• WKC Brave
Re: Kettle covers (Review of Weber Brand Kettle covers and alternatives)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 06:49:42 AM »
Excellent work on review LB! Need to grab a couple before winter. Lost my flimsy Grey one last March....blew away in wind storm.
SMOKE THIS!!

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
Thanks for the information. 

I have the flimsy grey on two of mine and they have lasted me over a year now.  I just received another one the other day hopefully the new one will hold up like the other 2.  I personally don't care if they are covered or uncovered but the wife likes all of our cookers to be covered.  A person about 2 blocks down from our house has a kettle uncovered out in the elements and she has nearly bought a cover for it numerous times.  She has also thought about taking it and giving it a new home as she says they are not giving it a good home..... lol

Thanks again for the helpful information
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:19:38 AM by apt323 »
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:15:24 AM »
LB - thank you, this is very helpful!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:58:44 PM »
Great writeup, Jeff! Dibs on your white MT when you decide to let it go. 8)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:54:39 AM »
Nice review.  I can add input on the Veranda cover.  I have one for one of my kettles and it is very high quality. 

Pro tip: Order the Veranda 26" cover for your 22s.  It won't fit a 26.75 grill, but works perfectly for the 22, and it is for some reason like $10 cheaper than the 22" cover they sell (at least when I bought mine like a month ago).

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 08:04:45 AM »
Great writeup, Jeff! Dibs on your white MT when you decide to let it go. 8)

I may or may not have wrote this review just to show off the ivory master touch. ;)
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 06:32:05 AM »
Nice write up. To date, I have only used the premium cover on both my Webers. It seems that the less expensive ones just won't last. My backyard gets a western sun beating down in our hot Texas summers, so I need something that will last. I've been happy so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 12:02:24 PM »
I have ALWAYS covered all of my grills when they are outside.... Does anyone just let them rock uncovered?
Hotty Toddy!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »
I have ALWAYS covered all of my grills when they are outside.... Does anyone just let them rock uncovered?
Mine are always uncovered.  Even the vintage ones.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »
I always cover mine.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:51:06 AM by LightningBoldtz »

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »
@Troy , common, you live in sunny SoCal (Lake Forest, Irvine, Laguna, San Juan, etc.).  How much "covering" do those babies need.  I never covered mine either when I lived in Huntington Beach ;D  ;D                       SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 06:55:53 PM »
@Troy , common, you live in sunny SoCal (Lake Forest, Irvine, Laguna, San Juan, etc.).  How much "covering" do those babies need.  I never covered mine either when I lived in Huntington Beach ;D  ;D                       SJ
I didn't cover them when I lived in Illinois either :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 06:58:14 PM »
So, you're saying that YOU are one of those kettle owners that let the triangles turn to rust and dump those poor cripples on the rest of the WKC recue'rs ???                 SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »
I've got one of the Veranda covers for my pellet smoker and they are a real good durable quality. I'd like to be able to find one for the SS Performers.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ