Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lousy First Spatchcock  (Read 4587 times)

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
Lousy First Spatchcock
« on: July 23, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »
Well, not a story of triumph tonight.

Tried to do my first spatchcock chicken.  Got it all split and seasoned, and set up the grill with a charcoal basket that I started on the Performer.  Once the white smoke stopped, I put on the grate and started the chicken indirect.

Things seemed great, temps came up, skin got nice and dark, and used the thermapen and it was pretty good. 

But went a little deeper under the wing and things were still too cool.  I tried to move over the coals, but didn't have much heat left.  Had to pull it, split it, and finish inside. 

Very sad. 

I think I need more coals going at once, just so it will keep going.  Maybe use a rail and not the basket.  But still, bummed that it didn't turn out.

All in all, a learning experience I suppose.

truckertrash

• WKC Brave
Re: Lousy First Spatchcock
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 04:50:05 PM »
Full chimney man, nothin to loose.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »
I have had similar experiences with chicken using baskets …. In fact, just last Sunday, something similar to what happened to you took place ….

I have pretty much resigned to just letting 'er rip with chicken … Couple baskets … A full chimney as @truckertrash mentioned … and chow down.

I continue to learn kettle cooking techniques, but sometimes the simplest method is the best.  :D :D 
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 06:05:11 PM »
2/3's of a chimney will give you roughly 1 hour of cook time.  If you went over that hour or had more than just the chicken on the grill then you were most likely going to run out of heat. 

Keep an eye on your charcoal next time.  You may have to add a little bit of raw to keep your cook going. 
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 12:01:51 AM »
+1 on full chimney. Close down bottom vent to 1/4-1/2 open and top vent 1/3-1/2 closed. Will give you heat and long burn time.

Depending on your charcoal your hear and timing will vary.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 02:47:39 AM »
"Full chimney man, nothin to loose."

sounds like maybe let the grill preheat more also
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 02:59:30 AM »
The only way to expand your repertoire is to try new things. You will learn more from something that doesn't come out as planned. My only rule on this is to not experiment on company. ;)

In a situation like this I would bring the chicken in and finish off in the oven. You will still get great flavor. (I guess that's your tactic as well.)

It's good to be critical of your results and look for opportunities to improve. Don't beat yourself up about it. Be proud of your efforts to grow. :D

PS: Was the chicken good?
kettles, smokers...

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 03:05:42 AM »
@chefn58 is spot on, I've cooked hundreds of birds but we all need reminders...
recent:

Only Half chimney & I didn't spatchcock as it was to be used for chicken salad, but by just adding the onion to the coals kept this @<145 IT after an hour.
-Loosing heat so I went ahead w/ cooking sides & had to lite & add Lump to finish this 4.5# bird
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 03:11:02 AM »
The only way to expand your repertoire is to try new things. You will learn more from something that doesn't come out as planned. My only rule on this is to not experiment on company. ;)

This is my golden rule. Been messing with Kettles & WSM for a little over a year now and just recently started cooking for crowds using charcoal.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 04:11:24 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Of course it was for company, and I was rushing.  So worst case.  I knew going in I was pushing it, but for some reason I thought I could defy the laws of physics.....

Oh well, live and learn. 

Great tips here.  Will definitely keep this bookmarked until getting them right becomes old hat!

Only question I have is for @austin87 , I haven't ever closed vents to keep temps high.  Always went with more air is more heat since it keeps the coals going.  Maybe my thinking needs to change...

And yep, the chicken was very good!  Just lost some nice presentation from the hacking and finishing indoors...

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 07:45:27 AM »
3/4 of a Weber chimney will fill both baskets. I put a basket on each side of the kettle and the chicken in the middle. Sometimes I put 2 chickens in the middle of baskets.

Light the chimney, when flames come out of the top and top charcoal is lightly ashed fill both baskets. All Vents wide open the whole cook. Put lid on and preheat grill for 10 mins or so. Add chicken and put the lid back on. It will take an hour, sometimes 10 0r 15 mins more.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 07:50:01 AM »
I forgot don't put the lid vent over top of the charcoal basket. On my performer I put the baskets at 3 and 9 o' clock.

I put the lid vent at 6 o'clock for 30 mins then turn it to 12 o'clock for the last 30 mins or to finish.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 01:03:22 PM »
I did one this week, spatchcocked it. Dumped about 2/3 of a chimney of hot coals over about 2/3 a chimney of raw coals. Chicken was rubbed with olive oil, sea salt & fresh cracked pepper. Indirect over a drip pan, legs towards the fire, bottom vent 1/2 open, top vent over the chicken. Temp rode about 375. Chicken was falling apart in 90 minutes, with the nicest crispy skin you ever saw.

This link was my inspiration: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/128633/spatchcock-chicken-on-the-weber-kettle

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 04:23:57 PM »
Yeah, I think my number of coals was really low.  That just didn't get me hot enough to start and then not enough to hold me.  I'm going to ditch the basket and just bank the coals next time.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »
It was only a mistake if ya dint learn from it. Next one will be better!