Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Best Ribeye  (Read 3630 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
My Best Ribeye
« on: July 20, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
I love cooking steaks and am a bit of a student regarding different ways to cook them.  Always looking for techniques that yield a perfectly cooked, juicy steak that is full of flavor.  While the following approach is simple, it works (for me).

Start with good meat.  24 oz of prime boneless ribeye.  Seasoned with a favorite rub and allowed to warm up to near room temp:

Weber kettle 2 zone cook using a mix of lump and KBB.  Bisbee gets the call:

While reverse sear seems to be a technique that is very much in favor, it does not work well for me.  I am a "sear and slide" guy, preferring to sear first and then move to indirect.  My reasoning is simple:
  • By searing first, I can take advantage of nice hot coals and a ripping hot fire.  I simply dump the coals and let the grates get nice and hot with the kettle lid off.  I then sear for a couple of minutes per side (with the lid on) and then slide to indirect to finish.  The problem I have with reverse sear is that I have to keep the lid on while the steak comes up to temp  Over the course of cooking the steak, the direct heat drops off and I can't get the same sear.
  • It is much easier for me to control the final temp.  When the steak is cooking indirect, the temp is coming up slower than if I pull it while searing, and the final temp after resting is much more predictable (for me).  I tend to overcook if I do a reverse sear.
Cray courts doing their job:

Steak pulled at 128.  A 10 minute rest yields 10 degrees of carryover, at which point the steak stops cooking, and the temp starts to fall.  I dressed it with some blue cheese compound butter:

This is my plated picture.  I cut it on the board and ate it as I went - one of the very few advantages of being a temporary batchelor. Good crust, juicy center, and cooked to a texture that I love.  The payoff:

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Gettinit

• Smokey Joe
Re: My Best Ribeye
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:08:47 AM »
If I do ribeye, I love bone in.  Love cherry wood with my steak too.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:39:57 AM »
That's a gorgeous looking steak Winz - You have it down to a science now 8)

... You've also got me hooked on the Eat BBQ rub ;D It's tasty stuff!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
That looks amazing! I haven't had a big juicy steak in far to long. Ribeye is my favorite cut and like yourself sear 1st then indirect. I feel I have more control. Good show!
WTB: Genesis Jr.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 12:29:29 PM »
Looks wonderful!
I agree on the reverse sear issues. I have been trying to get it down and it is not happening for me.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »
nice!!   I've been off line for a while but back now - we are moving and it is CRAZY..... doing burger tonight with @addicted-to-smoke - hope to keep us in the game!! 

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »

... You've also got me hooked on the Eat BBQ rub ;D It's tasty stuff!

Is that the one that they sell at Sams Club?

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 04:22:02 PM »
Great looking steak by the way! I've found that I don't enjoy the reverse sear as much. Simply too smoky!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 05:57:43 PM »
x3 for reverse sear issues of over cooking. Am all for searing first then indirect. BTW beautiful steak! Makes me miss my bachelor days of eating on non conventional place settings!
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 06:29:54 PM »
Looks good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »
Okay I'm hungry now - this looks so good. Steaks are hitting the menu this week for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers -

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Keep it simple stupid

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 07:36:29 PM »
Inspiring cook up WInz, I've been making my own butter and then mixing Blue Cheese
into it ever since the first dinner meetup at yer place,, ya got me hooked on it my friend.
We have company this Friday and will be doing Ribeyes with blue cheese butter..
Am so looking forward to it too...
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 07:36:42 PM »
That's a gorgeous steak @Winz

When I reverse sear I start the coals (maybe 20 of them) and dump them between the baskets. Then I top off the baskets with unlit and immediately pinch down the intake vent almost all the way to keep the fire from getting too hot as the new coals slowly ignite. Once I hit 110-115 degrees, I'll open the lower vent and open the lid to get the coals screaming hot for the finishing sear. The steak just hangs out off to the side away from the coals until it's hot.

I've also started with the lit coals on top of the unlit and done the same thing with closing down the vents at first, then opening them up. Both of these have worked pretty well for me, though I haven't figured out which one seems to work best.

With all that said, by the looks of your steak, there is obviously more than one way to skin a cat! Again, mouthwatering cook there!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »
I say use the technique that works the best for you.  That is a great looking steak!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 11:37:29 PM »
I mark and park as well I have overcooked 2 steaks doing the reverse sear that is enough for me. I've seen some beautiful results from other people but as mentioned above I'm sticking with what works best for me. That's a heck of a steak thanks for sharing
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe