Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis Junior Restore  (Read 29112 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Genesis Junior Restore
« on: July 17, 2015, 06:16:20 AM »
Woking some three R's magic on this classic gasser. Couple minor issues with the frame (rusted out star nuts) but other than that it's all there and in pretty good condition. Will obviously need new grates and flavorizers. What were those things in there anyway? Burners, crossover and manifold look good, and the valves operate smoothly. Came with a brand new tank - filled! Can't wait to get this one back in business.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
Re: Genesis Junior Restore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:25:29 AM »
With that 2 burner arrangement, and them being so far apart.  That thing is just screaming to be an awesome platform for a rotisserie
-Keith

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 05:17:52 PM »
@MartyG

Obviously wrong flavorizer bars. You could custom order some SS one from rcplanebuyer.
He is here in California. He also makes SS grates.
Is it me or do the burner tubes look almost too large?  I wonder if someone changed them form a standard 2 burner grill.
Does a parts list exist for these?
Can't wait to see the final resto.
AJ   8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 04:25:47 AM »
I do have a parts list, and these are the correct original burners. They put out 11,000BTU each. One thing I can't do is remove the hood cover from the end panels. The bolts spin before the nuts free up. Anyone find a solution for this? I can clean it up regardless, but would rather tear it down completely.

Thanks for tip on the SS bars and Grates @Heyjude. I need him to make a few things beyond this restore.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:30:19 AM by MartyG »

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 05:49:36 AM »
Hey...how did I wind up in this section?  I must be lost!
Good luck on the rehab Marty.  Sorry but I can't offer any advice on this one.  I like the wheels, they look nice still.

Kettle collector AND cooker!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 08:32:36 AM »
I do have a parts list, and these are the correct original burners. They put out 11,000BTU each. One thing I can't do is remove the hood cover from the end panels. The bolts spin before the nuts free up. Anyone find a solution for this? I can clean it up regardless, but would rather tear it down completely.

Thanks for tip on the SS bars and Grates @Heyjude. I need him to make a few things beyond this restore.

Check with Weber and see if there's a "hardware pack" available for the Jr.  If so, maybe you can drill them out ? 

EDIT:   Think this is what will work.

Shroud Hardware
Part Number: 97784

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/shroud-hardware-p-1476228.html?osCsid=roa46lksab19u1btm3aac0uo24

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:39:51 AM by demosthenes9 »

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
On the flavorizer bars, from what I've read, you can "get away with" only getting the 5 for the bottom row.  Some say that it actually heats more evenly this way.   One problem though is that Weber doesn't list the part number for the bars and I can't find it at Ereplacements or appliancefactoryparts either.    Might be easiest just to contact Dave (RCPlanebuyer) and talk to him first.  He might already have the measurements for the bars, or can tell you what needs to be done.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 01:30:04 PM »
Hey...how did I wind up in this section?  I must be lost!
I like the wheels, they look nice still.

First time for everything @Jeff  ::) and I agree; the mags are boss!  8)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
@ramsfan , you will be doing this too! One of these days...

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 07:42:17 AM »
@MartyG,

Don't mean to be a party pooper here MartyG, but before you get too deep into your Jr, see if you can try and find replacement burners for it.    From what I'm reading, they are almost impossible to find.   You might not need them right now, but it would be a shame to drop a decent amount of coin into fixing this one up only to need burners in 2 years and not be able to source them.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 08:28:58 AM »
Doesn't look like I'll need to invest much more than elbow grease at this point. I can always mod some grates and flavorizers. The burners actually look pretty good, better than some three burners I've been using for years, so I'm optimistic. I'm not one to invest serious coin in anything anyway, I like the challenge of restoring for next to nothing. I do that with bicycles all the time.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 08:34:16 AM »
Hey @MartyG, are you on RatRodBikes site?
Dude, relax your chicken.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 12:11:34 PM »
No, but sounds interesting...

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 12:45:38 PM »

I found that if you wedge a flat blade screwdriver against the side of the bolt and the edge of the lid sides the speed nuts will come right off.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 01:00:21 PM »
Nice! Will try that this weekend. Thanks!