Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A new resto project: The 18" Cado from Cali - (UPDATED FEB 16th)  (Read 6029 times)

SixZeroFour

Re: A new resto project: The 18" Cado from Cali
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 07:52:10 PM »
@Uncle JJ

That was an interesting one :) I wound up being able to work a leg down into the socket, then used a heavy duty hose clamp over the outside of the socket and tightened up as much as I could so that it sort of uniformly hugged the socket back around the leg. 

Wow, I hope that made sense!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 09:39:49 AM »
@Uncle JJ

That was an interesting one :) I wound up being able to work a leg down into the socket, then used a heavy duty hose clamp over the outside of the socket and tightened up as much as I could so that it sort of uniformly hugged the socket back around the leg. 

Wow, I hope that made sense!

brilliant!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 11:07:47 AM »
..:: UPDATE ::..

I finally made some significant progress on this restore and figured it was time to share some more pics. Recently I have been experimenting with JB Weld High Heat Epoxy putty and it seems that it might offer a good solution for plugging small holes in and around the common leg socket trouble areas. Essentially you cut a piece off, squish it all together and mix until it turns a uniform grey, then it can be worked with the same consistency as a hard clay. A tiny spray of water on your finger tips allows you to press and mold it into position better which worked out great. Holes are patched and the kettle can now stand (rather securely!) on her own 3 feet. This stuff hardens rock hard so I plan to go back and Dremel down the epoxy smooth on the inside of the bowl once it has a few more days to cure.

Getting the old lower vent rivets out was a pain in the ass but they all came out clean eventually...

Here is the trick we talked about before using a heavy hose clamp to tighten the socket around the leg.

Donor vents all cleaned up and ready to go.

Here's another trick I've used before - trim the square collar off a SS carriage bolt so that it will sit flush against the vent.

Use a simple nut and washer on the inside to help secure the new vents.

Muuuch better ;D

A nice new handle and she's back in the game!! 8)

Another huge thank you to @fedex - This was a really fun project and I'm thrilled to have an 18 cado as part of the team [emoji106]

Take care guys!

Matt
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: A new resto project: The 18" Cado from Cali - (UPDATED FEB 16th)
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 12:29:49 PM »
Looking grate! So amazing what you do to these.  How do you keep the triangles from rusting back up?  I've cleaned up a few reasonably well in the past, but it seems like you breathe on them and they are half covered in rust again.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 01:33:04 PM »
Nice Job!
May The Smoke Be With You!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »
Wow, looks great with that new handle!
Incredible job on the restore!
Ones like this, that require so much love, always end up being my favorite

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 05:46:22 PM »
What a job bringing that back to life. Congratulations on the kettle and having a good friend.

And restoring it all looks so straightforward...once you show us how!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 08:49:12 AM »
Looks good Matt. Really good. Interested to learn how that J-B Weld works out. Doesn't seem rated high enough for the coal bits that will fall down onto it. And hopefully it doesn't make something toxic when heated?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
looks grade A! 
I only use kettles with lid bales.