Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Suggestion: Restricting Sales Posts  (Read 4594 times)

Chuck

• WKC Brave
Suggestion: Restricting Sales Posts
« on: June 30, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
I just saw the post 18" Pat Pend Yellow for Sale over in the Member Sales and Trades area. This is the only post by the user.

I feel that that and the other sale forums should be restricted to users with a certain number of posts. It shouldn't be a place for people to come in just to hock their item(s) unless the post is approved by someone. (If there's an approval process already I'm unaware of it)

I'm just worried that as the site grows this may become a problem with people trying to sell their wares without otherwise contributing to the group.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Re: Suggestion: Restricting Sales Posts
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:19:42 PM »
Now I may be out of line responding to your post but, after reading the few posts on the post you mention, I think the situation
will solve it's self, the people here are usually very polite to posters like that but will not suffer scalpers/blood hunters long.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:33:38 PM »
All opinions on the topic are important mirkwood.

My thinking is that in this particular case and previous ones where overpriced 'collectable' items are advertised the discussions can get a bit heated on both sides. I feel that it can show an ugly aspect of the existing community standards (strong opinions against profiteering) vs someone coming in new and, giving the benefit of the doubt, making an item available to an interested community.

For the seller that comes in with a one off item, they make their post, take the hits from the ensuing discussion, sell their item on eBay, and then never return. That's all for that person's interaction with our community. But that thread lingers in the history of this forum. When these things go on for multiple pages the first page is mostly negative and people perusing threads don't typically follow such discussions to the second or third pages. Do such negative interactions, without context provided on subsequent pages, drive off potential members who are browsing the archives to get a feel for us?
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:49:26 PM »
Not sure how I feel about further limits.  I know how I feel about pissing over the price though :(

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 08:42:40 PM »
I think joining and posting to sell something as long as people are polite and courteous. Rare, vintage Weber items are going to go up on eBay no matter what we try to do. I hope that we'd be able to discuss them constructively while having fun.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:18:22 PM »
All opinions on the topic are important mirkwood.

Indeed, the only reason I started my post the way I did is the simple fact that we can discuss the idea of limiting
access to certain sub-forums all day but when it comes right down to it, it's up to owner(s) of the site
to make that decision, which he has and is why there are no limits on any part of the forum.

As for me, on the example in your post, I highly doubt I would ever pay 450 bucks for a kettle, but then again
I am a cheap ass kettle monkey.

I doubt I have that much involved in the purchase of all 12 of my kettles together. I paid more for the 18.5 inch
WSM than I did for the 3 Performers and the blue MT together..

It does however, disappoint me too no end to see someone try to gouge people and artificially drive up
prices on older kettles regardless of condition. 
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:29:47 PM »
My opinion is that not everyone is concerned with RRR.  This person appears to just be trying to make-a-buck on an item/object that others bestow value.  It's the entire premise of the Antiques Road Show.  Why they bothered to advise kettleHEADs that it was forsale on eBAY speaks either to their marketing/sales skills -or- a sign of respect to those within this group that collect items such as this.   My personal credo follows along the lines of "If it doesn't need Rescue, then continue to seek those kettles that do"  ...  "When she needs Rescue, do so and Restore her to as much of her former majesty as you can"  ...  "If she's a cooker, then Respect her with fire & smoke".   SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 10:45:05 PM »
Ok, thank you everyone for the insights and opinions. Especially @Chuck for having the nuts to speak his mind. :)

My thoughts are, if the user has an old grill to sell, we ARE the audience.
The seller probably only signed up to post it. In most online situations, that's spam - but in ours - its actually relevant.
The seller researched their find, obviously using our site because we're the one and only authority on old weber grills.
It would have been better if seller had posted an introduction, but everyone is different. I myself am extremely introverted and will avoid social interactions with unfamiliar faces.

The seller is not responsible for the high prices. Seller chose that price based on what has previously sold, condition, and rarity. Aiming high? Maybe. But that's not our area to police.

There's already a hoop to jump through for someone to post a sale/trade. I don't think we need to make it more difficult.
And I would rather have the grill posted here for all to see than not posted at all.

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 08:33:05 AM »
I've been on forums that required "X" number of posts in order to sell anything. What was the result? Post padding with a lot of bullshit one word replies for someone to get their count up. If you try to impose or project your beliefs, ethics, values etc on others, you're just going to end up frustrated. Having a forum like WKC with members that for the most part are looking out for each other is awesome and extremely rare. But "eBay" and "WKC bro deal" are diametrically opposed concepts. Ok I gotta get back to my search for a vintage weber coolie pan wok on eBay. I'm sure I'll find one for cheap   8)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:58:39 AM »
If you try to impose or project your beliefs, ethics, values etc on others, you're just going to end up frustrated.

THIS.
It applies to so many things. Gay marriage, gun regulations, confederate flag, etc.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 06:00:48 PM »
If you try to impose or project your beliefs, ethics, values etc on others, you're just going to end up frustrated.

THIS.
It applies to so many things. Gay marriage, gun regulations, confederate flag, etc.

Plus a gazillion!!!
WTB: Genesis Jr.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 02:09:44 PM »
I've seen this discussion come up on just about every internet community I've ever been part of.

The longer a community is around, the more it tends to crop up.

I think it is much more of a problem in larger communities with less niche items.  Like you said, @Troy, this site and possibly one or two others is pretty much it when it comes to weber collecting.

Frankly, until about a month ago, had you told me that there was a market and rabid fan base for old weber grills, I would have probably laughed at you.  I say this as someone who has believed (and stated many times over the years to my wife and other forums) that if there is an item out there that can be collected/coveted/hoarded by more than one person, there is almost certainly a forum out there somewhere that caters to them.

I agree with @terrymo, you can try to put some guidelines/barriers in place for it, but if someone has no interest in contributing to the community they'll just post pad somewhere (usually OT if the admins haven't disabled post counts in the OT sub) or post BS answers in other threads until they can post their ad and leave.

In the situation of this specific community, however, I think the problem is less of a concern.  Weber grills are such a niche collectible, most people are not aware of the idea there is a value for them.  If anything, the old ones suffer from the Antique Roadshow/American Pickers hangover effect that is plaguing every single flea market and yard sale I've been to lately.  Everybody thinks their junk is the diamond in the rough and is worth a premium price.  I can't tell you how many fully rusted old tools I've seen with no significant value lately that are $20, $30, $40 each.  Before reality TV made people think their garage was a retirement plan, you could get an entire toolbox for $20.  I just saw a WSM on CL for $325, and the guy is priced "firm" for it. 

The flip side, though, in this arena, is that most of you seem very well connected to each other.  It is doubtful too many people float in and out of this community without getting to know them to a degree, due to its size and uniqueness.

Just my $.02, whatever its worth from a guy who is new to this community but not new to communities like it.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »
I've seen this discussion come up on just about every internet community I've ever been part of.

The longer a community is around, the more it tends to crop up.

I think it is much more of a problem in larger communities with less niche items.  Like you said, @Troy, this site and possibly one or two others is pretty much it when it comes to weber collecting.

Frankly, until about a month ago, had you told me that there was a market and rabid fan base for old weber grills, I would have probably laughed at you.  I say this as someone who has believed (and stated many times over the years to my wife and other forums) that if there is an item out there that can be collected/coveted/hoarded by more than one person, there is almost certainly a forum out there somewhere that caters to them.

I agree with @terrymo, you can try to put some guidelines/barriers in place for it, but if someone has no interest in contributing to the community they'll just post pad somewhere (usually OT if the admins haven't disabled post counts in the OT sub) or post BS answers in other threads until they can post their ad and leave.

In the situation of this specific community, however, I think the problem is less of a concern.  Weber grills are such a niche collectible, most people are not aware of the idea there is a value for them.  If anything, the old ones suffer from the Antique Roadshow/American Pickers hangover effect that is plaguing every single flea market and yard sale I've been to lately.  Everybody thinks their junk is the diamond in the rough and is worth a premium price.  I can't tell you how many fully rusted old tools I've seen with no significant value lately that are $20, $30, $40 each.  Before reality TV made people think their garage was a retirement plan, you could get an entire toolbox for $20.  I just saw a WSM on CL for $325, and the guy is priced "firm" for it. 

The flip side, though, in this arena, is that most of you seem very well connected to each other.  It is doubtful too many people float in and out of this community without getting to know them to a degree, due to its size and uniqueness.

Just my $.02, whatever its worth from a guy who is new to this community but not new to communities like it.

This!

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 07:57:45 AM »
You never know when someone may want to sell a Westerner or a yellow and give the club first crack at it. If we make it too tough to get a sale post, those sellers go to the bay or  pawn shop instead.
SMOKE THIS!!

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 05:49:08 PM »
You never know when someone may want to sell a Westerner or a yellow and give the club first crack at it. If we make it too tough to get a sale post, those sellers go to the bay or  pawn shop instead.

^^^^^ what he said !!!!     
Search of Blue or Green MBH