Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SJG vent tweaking?  (Read 1584 times)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
SJG vent tweaking?
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
I finally got around to trying out an SJG I picked up last month and I noticed the two side vents were not exactly flush with the bowl. Sure enough, as I used for a mini today, the temps aren't as consistent as I would like. Even with the vent completely closed over the holes, enough air still gets in to cause temp fluctuations. Am I correct that in order to bend the vents correctly they will need to come off? Anyone else have this issue? I have a 4lb pork shoulder in it now, I may just transfer it to the oven if the temps keep bouncing all over.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: SJG vent tweaking?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:54:12 PM »
I had the same problem but have found that the more cooks I do the more consistent the temps are
Which I think is due to the seasoning of the pot
The same thing happens with the WSM , high temps over the first few cooks and then it becomes a lot more consistent and easier to control
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:17:08 PM »
Yeah, you would need to pull the wire bail off to take those vents off to bend them as good as possible to match the curve of the bowl.   It might do this grill well to take some thin stick on high heat nomex gasket and put it around the vent holes.  Might be a little snug at first, but I think you'd have alot more control.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »
You could also take the bail off and install some SS hardware to help tightem it to the bowl.
The design does make it harder to keep the vents sealed up. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:25:39 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like the best option for now is removing the bale and bending the covers. I'll try that first, then add nomex if necessary. I ended up putting the butt in the oven for the last two hours. Probably should have gone another hour but it was getting late and the family was getting hungry.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:26:38 AM »
You could also take the bail off and install some SS hardware to help tightem it to the bowl.
The design does make it harder to keep the vents sealed up. 8)
I think this is a good idea, thanks.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......