Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket - Made Easy With a Weber Kettle  (Read 6218 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Brisket - Made Easy With a Weber Kettle
« on: June 27, 2015, 08:56:03 AM »
This was only my second attempt at cooking a brisket.  My first was 3 years ago on my UDS.

I have wanted to try one using a Weber kettle.  This beauty "A" code got the nod for this try - I call it, Phil.  :D

I picked up a full brisket weighing in at 8 lbs.  I trimmed off about 2 lbs of fat.
My trimming skills are lacking, plus the knife is not the best even though I honed it before this.

I gave it a good slathering with Worcestershire sauce, and then some Schwartz's steak spice.
I got this from @MrHoss .  He picked it up when he made a trip down east last summer.  Into the fridge for a few hours.

The snake / fuse was the charcoal set-up, along with small chunks of oak - more stuff that Hoss gave me.  :D
Foil in the center plus along the edges.

I lit 10 briquets to start the fuse.  A 30 minute pre-heat, then on went the brisket at 10:30PM.  An Overnighter!

After 1 hour, the thermometer that was poking thru the vent hole was reading around 275°.
After about 2 to 2.5 hours, it was reading close to 300°.  That was fine with me …. Off to bed for some shut-eye.

Got up to check it at 6:30AM - 8 hours in.  Got an IT of 170°.  I decided to wrap it in 2 layers of HD foil.

After 11 hours, I removed it from the cooker.  It was probe-tender, and I was getting readings in the 195-204° range.
Into the cooler for a rest.  Wrapped in towels.

The fuse was right near the end.  Nice!  :) :)

After resting, I removed the point from the flat with very little effort.  I thought that was a good sign.

Saved the drippings from the foil-wrap.  The flat may have been slightly on the dry side, but not really bad.  Tasted amazing.
The point was awesome, too.  It was very rich tasting and loaded with flavor.  The smoke ring was pretty awesome looking, too.

I used the word "Easy" in the title of this thread with some trepidation.  I have very limited experience cooking brisket as already mentioned.

However, I have seen and read countless brisket cooks on the internet, plus some discussion and advice from MrHoss proved invaluable.
@1buckie has done some amazing brisket cooks on the kettle, as well.  Not to mention others who have shared their experience.  Thank you to all.

Also, I did not feel the need to fiddle with the intakes to control temperature. 
Lid vent was fully open.  2 intakes were closed, and 1 was fully open for the duration.  I just let it ride ... and I got sleep.  :D

So … maybe it was easy.  ??? ;) ;)

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Brisket - Made Easy With a Weber Kettle
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 09:22:39 AM »
Done like a true professional. Congrats on the successful sophomore brisket cook!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:54:13 PM »
Right down the pipe, Mark !!!!

Good Job, no GREAT job on that mate !!!!!

Look at the ring on that thing !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »
Looks damn tasty Mac....glad you like the Schwartz's. One of these days maybe we'll make it down to see @1buckie and see how a Master operates.

Phil looks awesome. Love the name.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »
Wow! Looks soooo guuuuud! Great cook up!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 06:22:31 PM »
Awsome! I'm doing a brisket flat tomorrow on the WSM. Not sure if I should foil wrap it though.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 06:40:57 PM »
Awsome! I'm doing a brisket flat tomorrow on the WSM. Not sure if I should foil wrap it though.

Just a guess Nate, but maybe so, as the flat usually has more of a tendency to dry out some.....

It may help with that part, but maybe wait fairly far into he cook.....see how big & crunchy Mac's bark is?

Getting the bark set good & built up before the wrap will keep it pretty good & not mushy from the wrap......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 09:33:37 PM »
Looks like you hit that one out of the park!  I'd say you set up your snake just right!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 07:01:52 AM »
Looks great, that smoke ring almost goes all the way through!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 08:58:43 AM »
Looks great! Eases my mind a bit in planning my fist, before too long.
Still need a 22” yellow

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 08:23:49 PM »
glad you like the Schwartz's.

Schwartz's, eh? Seeing as how that's my surname, I may just have to find me some of this tasty sounding goodness.

Briskie looks phenomenal!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 11:11:16 PM »
Nice job on your second attempt.   Based on the second to last pic (side view of a slice), I'd say that the dryness of the flat was due to it being slightly undercooked.    Was the flat a slight bit tough/elastic as well?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 03:11:19 AM »
Thanks for looking, guys!  I hope to do more of these, but the price up here may deter me from doing very many.

Nice job on your second attempt.   Based on the second to last pic (side view of a slice), I'd say that the dryness of the flat was due to it being slightly undercooked.    Was the flat a slight bit tough/elastic as well?

Actually, the 3rd to last pic was the flat, and the last 2 pics were the point.
The flat was not tough at all.  I have re-heated (quick to remove chill) slices the last two days, and it is fine.

I should mention also that I don't have much experience eating brisket, either, so I may not know what is truly ideal.
All-in-all, I am very pleased with how it turned out, and I know that I would like to improve upon this for the future.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 05:16:09 AM »
Nicely done!
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »
Looks damn fine to me!