Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up a Summit 650  (Read 4498 times)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Picked up a Summit 650
« on: June 23, 2015, 01:31:14 PM »
Figured it was worth the $10 asking price.

Plan is to convert it to propane.     Astute viewers will noted that the entire right hand set up is missing.   Have to try and find the U rail support, the side table and the condiment holder.  If I get really lucky, I might find a side burner insert.   None of the parts are available from Weber or the other normal Weber sources.

Tis a shame as the rest of the grill is actually in pretty decent shape.   Front of the firebox has developed some rust (where the burners slide through).  Hopefully some rust converter/inhibitor will prevent it from getting any worse.   

I'm definitely open to any thoughts or suggestions on this.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: Picked up a Summit 650
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 12:39:41 AM »
Nice score especially for 10 bucks
Any idea how old it is?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 01:45:22 PM »
Nice score especially for 10 bucks
Any idea how old it is?

SN is DAXXXXXX, so that puts it at 2001 production year.  I just hope I can locate the parts to restore it.   

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »
@demosthenes9
good deal for $10..

Thought those fireboxes were cast aluminum? 

Surprisedbtheres rust...r u sure it isnt just grill gunk
Grills

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 07:26:10 PM »
@demosthenes9
good deal for $10..

Thought those fireboxes were cast aluminum? 

Surprisedbtheres rust...r u sure it isnt just grill gunk

Sad to say, I'm absolutely sure.  Strange as it may seem, Weber made the entire lower firebox for the Genesis out of cast aluminum, but for the flagship Summit, only the end caps are cast AL.   The front and back of the lower FB are made of coated metal.   To make matters worse, you can't buy just the front or back piece.  You have to replace the entire lower firebox.   Making it catastrophically worse than that, Weber no longer sells fireboxes for this model.

BTW, the firebox on the following generation of Summits, the Silver/Gold are of the same construction and you have to buy the whole firebox there as well.   Weber has most of those in stock still.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 10:46:27 PM »
)($#)( )((#$)*#@$ (*)&!@#&(*^!@#*&!@&#(&@!#(*&@!#()*& ~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I freaking missed out on a CL deal that is going to haunt me for a long freaking time.  Just 120 miles away, someone listed a 4 burner Summit 450 for $175.    For all I know, it was in perfect shape.  BUT, let's presume that it had some problems.  What it still had was 2 U Rails which are danged near impossible to find,  of which I need 1.  It had 2 condiment trays that are also danged near impossible to find,  of which I need 1.   It had a work surface on the left hand side, which is also danged near impossible to find, of which I need 1.  It even had a freaking side burner which is danged near astronomically impossible to find, of which I don't really NEED one, but damn it would have been great to have  !!!

It gets even worse. 

The guy had some spare parts!   4 burner tubes and 2 crossovers and 2 ignitors, all brand new.   

I emailed the guy on Thursday evening at 1am just after it was listed telling him that I definitely wanted to buy the grill but couldn't get free until Saturday afternoon.  Friday morning he replied back saying "Great, give me a call and we'll work out the details."    I was busy as heck when I got the email and couldn't call the guy until 1pm.    He proceeds to tell me that someone else is coming over at 2:30 to look at the grill.

NO@!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went through all the "if they don't show or don't buy" stuff and he said that I could have dibs if the deal fell through.   He later emailed me and told me they guy took it.

DOUBLE, TRIPLE, OCTUPLE  NO@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO not happy right now.    Damned thing was EVERYTHING I was needing.  Hell, if the 4 burner was in good shape, after stripping parts and putting them on the 6 burner,  I could have stashed it in my garage until I found even more parts.

@RO@U#EU#$)U($#)(#Q$(*#$(*#$)(#$)(*#$)(*#$)*(#$)(*#$
\

\Did I mention just how absolutely, positively not freaking happy I am right now ??????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok, still not happy but I feel marginally better now after getting this off my chest.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:49:59 PM by demosthenes9 »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »
Hey, email the seller again but enclose an email for the text for the buyer and ask him to forward it. Maybe the seller will do you a solid and forward your information to the buyer. Once listings are pulled the CL relay emails still work for awhile. Who knows, you may even make a Weber buddy. Or, he's reading this post right now and laughing at you. :D @demosthenes9
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 04:49:33 AM »
@demosthenes9 I'm not sure if it is the right generation, and it is an old ad, but you could try emailing this guy if it is what you need. My parents live in that town and I could probably agent if it worked out.

http://southcoast.craigslist.org/for/5042489133.html

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 01:44:57 PM »
@pbe gummi bear  That's a great idea PBE, thanks !

@jkolantern    small world.  I've been scouring CL listings nation wide (in a somewhat random and haphazard fashion) trying to find parts and had come across this listing.  I emailed the seller to see if he had a part #, but haven't heard back from him.    Thanks for the offer to agent for me.  I'll email the seller a couple more times to try and make contact.