Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: So How Do YOU Grill Your Corn?  (Read 10186 times)

vic

• Smokey Joe
So How Do YOU Grill Your Corn?
« on: June 15, 2015, 06:33:46 PM »
I'm sure folks have different methods of grilling corn on the cob and was just wondering what different methods each of you used.
I tend to pull some of the husk off, remove all the silk, pull the remaining husk back over the cob and grill indirect. If I have the time, I will sometimes let the corn soak in a tub of Ice Cold water. I've read this makes the corn crisper???
Interested in hearing Y'all's methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: So How Do YOU Grill Your Corn?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »
I tear or cut the extra husk & silk so the tip is just covered a little. Throw the corn on the grill indirect til its hot, although it dont need to be, and pull the stuff off after its cooked. Floss with any silk left on the cob. You need to floss after 4-5 ears anyways.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 09:00:36 PM »
I've done corn naked (fully husked and silk removed, no re wrapping), partially husked and silk removed, and completely wrapped up. All work. I like the corn to get a little charred so a lot of times I go naked. I also don't cook it that long. Good, fresh sweet corn doesn't need much cooking. I like it a little crisp still.

No offense to the seafood boil folks, but good summer corn boiled for hours in salty water doesn't do it for me.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:57:00 AM »
Nekkid here..cook indirect till the kernels look a little shriveled, then direct to get some color. My wife is from Iowa and they don't ruin corn by salt, butter, etc.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 04:02:48 AM »
Soaked in cold water, thrown on the grill un-shucked.  cook indirect until everything else is done.  Pull it off and the husk and silk slip right off. 
I used to wrap in tin foil after soaking, but I've found it has an earthier, more BBQ flavor without the foil.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 05:05:33 AM »
First, the corn has to be picked and grilled within hours. That's a must do! Amazing the difference that makes in terms of sweetness. I usually peel back a few layers of husk, leaving one or two. A translucent covering will protect the kernels and allow some internal steaming to occur but will also allow some char. Butter and Old Bay is the way to go. Now I'm hungry!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:56:35 AM »
Peel back the husks, remove silk, replace husks. Ice bath is a must. Not only brings out the sugar, but protects the husks. Direct, turning every few min till outside layer is chard. Can sit indirect while I finish up anything else.

Still need a 22” yellow

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 08:08:48 AM »
Naked. Rub with olive oil and salt. Grill until kernels brighten maybe a little char. I didn't like the flavor the husks gave the corn.

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 08:30:06 AM »
Soak corn ( in husk) in cooler with ice & water 1/4  cup coarse salt & 1/4 cup sugar or more depending on how much corn you do. Direct HIGH heat , burn husk black and with layers falling off. Corn may even pop , when corn is somewhat brown it's done
( I trim both ends of ears with pruning shears prior to soaking)
Melted butter with pinch of cayenne
And or melted bacon grease

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 09:14:08 AM »
Corn is food for my food...

I have done this tho:

Jiffy pop style...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »
Borrowed pic btw, mine was on the 18
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 10:29:50 AM »
Naked until there is some char. Pull them off and coat with butter, then sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and pico de gallo powder.

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »
Never tried this, but I've hear you can inject melted butter (or cajun butter) with a meat injector between the corn and the shucks.  Grill with shucks on.  When done, cut off one end, and the corn will shoot right out of the husk with no silks attached.

Y'all ever try this?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
I did them de-silked & wrapped back up with a small strip of husk tied around the top end to keep the husks together, done "Iranian Corn" that a guy showed me one time where you grill it from the start completely shucked, then dump the light to medium charred cobs into a vat a fairly heavy salt water.....does something to it that pretty nice (kinda sweetens in a way).......

But for the last 10 or so years, just butter with various spices sprinkled & double foil wrapped.....works decent & it's all seasoned when you unroll......not a whole lot of charcoal / wood flavor, but I save that for shaved kernels to do this:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/smoked-corn-and-black-bean-salsa/msg13616/#msg13616

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

cashishift

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 02:46:30 PM »
buy corn from store.

put on grill after taking out of bag from store

remove husks after its done.

eat.