Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Poor mans Vortex or just a round charcoal basket?  (Read 10319 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Poor mans Vortex or just a round charcoal basket?
« on: June 15, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »
I found this pipe in someone's kerb side trash last week and thought it might make for a cheap vortex
I had to cut it down to fit between the two gates and grind the paint off

I fired up a chimney and filled the pipe, it worked great and sent the needle off the chart
Being a clean freak I added some exp mesh so I can shake it out after use and not loose any charcoal

I've never used the vortex but would this give similar results? Is there any benefit in the cone shape of the vortex? How do you regulate the temp with the vortex... Vents or amount of lit charcoal?
I'll fire it up tonight and test it out with some food
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Poor mans Vortex or just a round charcoal basket?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 06:00:36 PM »
I would assume that the idea behind the vortex is to increase the temp or focus the heat and if you have increased the heat then you may be alright.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:20:07 AM »
I can't see the pics since my work blocks photobucket. But check out the vortex page on Facebook to see the different methods it can be used. Here's a link to the albums page: https://www.facebook.com/vortexchimney/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

@Hogsy  the shape is the key.

When wanting blazing hot sear-zone: Narrow end up, Fill up and sear directly over flame.
When wanting high-heat Indirect: Narrow end up, Fill up and place meat around perimeter (really awesome method for chicken/chicken wings)
When wanting low/slow Indirect: Wide end up, snake/minion coals around it. The shape of the cone then deflects heat away from centered meat
When wanting what I'm calling 'Infrared': Wide end up, place whole bird inside Vortex and place lit coals all around it. The Vortex protects the meat from burning while applying whatever your preferred heat-level is.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 12:43:36 PM »
Thanks for the explanation @THUNDERDOME , I guess I've just made a round charcoal basket then😃
Works well though, sits over the G.A nicely and is easy to move to the centre when the coals are ready
Cooked some wings last night

What do you use for drip trays when using the Vortex?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

phillyc0wb0y

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 12:52:20 PM »
I made a home made vortex using an old water pan that began to rust through. A few snips around the base and we have:

direct sear these rib eyes in 2 min each side to get to 135

indirect wings were very nicely crisped in about 45 min

used both direct and indirect at the same time for surf & turf

Inverted, I can even fit two birds in my homemade vortex while the smaller one can only fit one! I sat an 18" grate on top and moved the birds up a bit to crisp up the skin.

All in all the vortex is a nice addition to your toys and a snap to make at home!!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:54:21 PM by phillyc0wb0y »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 01:42:04 PM »
@phillyc0wb0y
Is that a pan from an ECB (El Cheapo Binkman)?

If so, I have a few that I've used for ash pans on various kettles that worked hard......one of them has a small hole in the bottom...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 03:05:54 PM »
@Hogsy that's awesome - that looks like a hunk of new water main. i've been thinking about talking to our water department for a scrap chunk when they have a short cut-off. it looks like it works great!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 03:11:08 PM »
Thanks @effinUker . I was surprised how hot it got and stayed that way for ages
I think that it will work well in the 26er and I'm hoping the ranch too
                            WKC Collaborator

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 04:18:29 PM »
that reminds me of something @1buckie shared with the bretheren back in march. i can't find the post, but i found my notes. hopefully he'll remember and chime in here. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »
that reminds me of something @1buckie shared with the bretheren back in march. i can't find the post, but i found my notes. hopefully he'll remember and chime in here.

It might be this:

(from Awning Guy of Smoke Ring, who is also the guy that coined the phrase: "Don't worry, you're still 4 or 5 kettles away from being "That creepy guy down the street with all the Webers....."')

it's in a post from @BBcue-Z  the skewer master......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/cooking-with-the-chimney-inside/msg149800/#msg149800

most of the way down.....and there's a link to a post by @Cookingmama that has more pics.....
(tagging these people also, 'cause I miss them when they're not around !!!)

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 05:33:07 PM »
@1buckie - yup, that's what i was thinking of.  that looks like an indirect cooking beast. i bet once it you get it to your temp it'll ride all day!

phillyc0wb0y

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 02:36:11 AM »
@phillyc0wb0y

If so, I have a few that I've used for ash pans on various kettles that worked hard......one of them has a small hole in the bottom...... 8)

Yes it is @1buckie! Go for it! You won't be sorry!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 02:42:30 AM »
@phillyc0wb0y

Yes it is @1buckie! Go for it! You won't be sorry!

Thanks man !!!!
These home made ones I imagine will work pretty good, but the angle of the manufactured one looks to me to be also pretty well thought out........maybe work a little more efficiently / effectively?

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 03:09:23 AM »
seems like an effectively just a way to concentrate/deflect heat (+ added metal mass to hold temp?)

I've just stepped from the 18 to 22 & back for this effect, though I'm never opposed to more toys...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

phillyc0wb0y

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 05:03:28 AM »
Don't get me wrong, the ones that are on the market are solid products and I would actually have purchased one had I not stumbled onto this. I know a few guys that have purchased one and they love it.