Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal Layout for Grilling?  (Read 5265 times)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
Charcoal Layout for Grilling?
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
So I always used gassers for grilling, but now that I've made the kettle conversion I'm having to apparently learn the art of charcoal layout. I filled my little charcoal bins with coals and put them on either side of the grill with the thought I could cook direct over them for searing and then move stuff to the center and let the ambient cook it the rest of the way, but it didn't work so well. I was just cooking burgers, brats and dogs, but I'm thinking I should have just spread the coals across the grate and fired them up.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:44:19 PM by AZRaptor »
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Charcoal Layout for Grilling
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 08:25:02 PM »
What was the issue? Too much heat at the edges or not enough? Brats burgers and dogs are pretty forgiving as long as you don't have flareups. Did you put the lid back on for ambient cooking?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
Re: Charcoal Layout for Grilling
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 08:43:49 PM »
The direct cook over the coals didn't have that typical high heat cook feel to it and the indirect section seemed to do little to cook anything. The lid was reading 450 when I started. I started the burgers over direct heat to get them started and then moved them to the middle to finish while I did the sausages and dogs. Everything tasted good when it was done, so maybe I'm just not used to the cycle you go through grilling on a kettle.
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Charcoal Layout for Grilling?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 10:05:22 PM »
I'll set mine up the same way. You can set it up with coals 3/4 of the across with the rest being your cool area maybe even having more towards one side so as to have a 3 zone fire.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 06:16:05 AM »
In my opinion the baskets that come with Weber grills are designed to make you feel like your getting more for your money, otherwise they're useless. The internet is full of stories just like yours where you tried them and got disappointed by the results, due to not enough heat to grill effectively, not enough fuel to cook long enough, or the fire was weak on one side and just kinda fizzled.

The general recommendation is to park the baskets in a storage bin somewhere and bank the coals or use the snake/fuse method, depending on what your cooking. You'll get more predictable, consistent, and versatile fires without the baskets.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »
In my opinion the baskets that come with Weber grills are designed to make you feel like your getting more for your money, otherwise they're useless. The internet is full of stories just like yours where you tried them and got disappointed by the results, due to not enough heat to grill effectively, not enough fuel to cook long enough, or the fire was weak on one side and just kinda fizzled.

The general recommendation is to park the baskets in a storage bin somewhere and bank the coals or use the snake/fuse method, depending on what your cooking. You'll get more predictable, consistent, and versatile fires without the baskets.

I think the baskets deserve more credit. They keep your charcoal more organized, allow you to easily move a fire, and they allow you to measure charcoal to get more consistent cooks. With that said, they do react differently than bare charcoal on the grate so there is a slight learning curve. Imo the baskets are superior for direct cooking and searing vs bare charcoal on the grate.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 01:25:18 PM »
Homemade baskets using expanded metal are the best.  :) :)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 05:10:09 PM »
I'm kinda with gummi, the more I've used the baskets the more I've come to appreciate them. @AZRaptor it seems like your set up is right. How much charcoal did you have in the baskets. When I fill mine up the coals practically touch the grate. I get a much better sear this way because the coals are so close to the meat.

It seems like I get that full using a whole chimney and dumping them once their lit. Keep up at it and you'll get the hang of it!

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 06:16:26 PM »
I filled both of the baskets to the top of the basket and then lit them from the bottom via the gas assist and waiited until the top coals started to ash over before cooking. I think the next time around I may put them together in the middle or to one side for the direct cooking section and use the open area around them for the indirect section.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 07:42:48 PM »
I always liked the baskets from when I first learned to grill.  Makes for easy clean up and I can move them around as needed.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 08:55:15 PM »
Don't put baskets on the sides, put them together towards one side of the kettle. Large area of direct high heat, and large indirect space too.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 12:03:48 PM »
I like baskets because they allow you to have coals closer to the grate without haVing to have too much. I put them close together piled high with coal for a good, hot sear section. For burgers I wouldn't use the baskets. Just do a 2 zone...2 brickettes deep covering half the coal grate. That will give you plenty of heat for burgers and a nice place to retreat to if you need it.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 04:11:25 AM »
Homemade baskets using expanded metal are the best.  :) :)

Yes, every grillfellow should try this project (measure, cut & resize to fit your needs)

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/89796/i-call-it-the-20-20-charcoal-basket
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 03:36:51 PM »
That's cool, @Metal Mike .

If you have any welding skills, or know someone …. I made these a couple years ago.  I absolutely love them!
The last 3 pics are on the 18" kettle.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 04:18:22 AM »
Very nice @MacEggs
I had thought about similar \/ \/ \/ to make a faster setup for a fuse just dumping coals on the 22

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE