Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Time Pork Butt  (Read 3127 times)

OKWeber

• Happy Cooker
First Time Pork Butt
« on: June 14, 2015, 04:28:10 PM »
I am going to try my hand at making pulled pork sandwiches for Fathers day. My question is could I get to butts next to each other using the snake method or should i use a different method? I have an original 22.5.
Always wanting another Kettle!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: First Time Pork Butt
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »
You should be fine. A snake only burns with a short section so you can rotate the grates/meat as the snake burns. Make sure to leave some space in between each butt!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 04:44:06 PM »
What gummi said, be careful to leave that space so the smoke circulates and Bart forms on all the edges.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 04:47:01 PM »
Be sure to start 'em early. I did pulled pork last Sunday, meat on the grill at 8AM, wrapped about 1PM, pulled & rested about 4PM, dinner around 5PM. What a great way to spend father's day - tending to a grill! Be sure to throw on some ABT's or moink balls while you're cooking, to snack on while you're waiting for the food to be done.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 10:48:17 PM »
Be sure to start 'em early. I did pulled pork last Sunday, meat on the grill at 8AM, wrapped about 1PM, pulled & rested about 4PM, dinner around 5PM. What a great way to spend father's day - tending to a grill! Be sure to throw on some ABT's or moink balls while you're cooking, to snack on while you're waiting for the food to be done.
Sounds like a winner to me!  Good luck and enjoy!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 05:43:07 AM »
If the butts are big and space is limited you can cut into large chunks. this will give you some more flexibility on space, and has the added benefits of giving more surface area for rub and thus more bark. It "can" shorten your cook time too.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Jeff H

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 06:16:48 AM »
Be sure to start 'em early. I did pulled pork last Sunday, meat on the grill at 8AM, wrapped about 1PM, pulled & rested about 4PM, dinner around 5PM.

This is exactly what I did on a WSM over the weekend. keeping the temps 225-240ish and the times effinUKer posted were pretty accurate for me.

OKWeber

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 04:32:13 PM »
Thanks, for all the tips. I was looking to get two in the %-&lb range while keeping them close to the same size. Is there a specific way to set the snake up? From what I have seen it looks like you will place two roles of coal down and one on top to form a triangle if looking form one end is this correct or should there be more coal?

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 05:03:35 PM »
i use a row of 3 coals on the, 2 on top of that, with wood chunks for smoking on top of that.  i read a post from 1buckie that says burn counterclockwise for pork, so i started after i read his tip. haven't hit a clunker since.

OKWeber

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 03:51:16 PM »
How many coals to start the fire with I read somewhere that the Used 8-10 is this accurate or do I need more or less?

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 04:41:13 PM »
How many coals to start the fire with I read somewhere that the Used 8-10 is this accurate or do I need more or less?

That's about right. If its hot out when you start it, go with 8. If its cooler, 10.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »
Two will fit, but for future reference.....this is a real good reason to have at least two kettles..... 8)

You can take this pretty much as far as you'd like....

This may help some too ~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/nothing-new-just-some-pork-beans/msg26001/#msg26001

You can start with 8~12 or even a bit more....i often use leftover coals to start so it's hard to count, but a bit higher temp starting off is OK as the cold meat will drop the temp quite a bit at first & a few extra will just overcome that situation more quickly......the chain will still settle down just fine when the un-lit begins ti catch on......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 04:19:51 AM »
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/first-try-at-the-buckie-method/msg14243/#msg14243

Here is my first try at the snake method. for butts go farther around the bowl than I did cause you'll need more time than I did with the loin. And I think I started with too many lit coal.  About 10 lit coals should be enough.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm