Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why did i wait so long to do this??? (Reverse sear using a Maverick)  (Read 2215 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Growing up it was always gas grilling: burgers, dogs, chicken, sausage, chops, and steak, usually London Broil, usually well done.

I started "smoking" meat 3 years ago. One of my first smoking related purchases was a maverick therm. i learned to use to monitor pit temps and meat temps for cuts like butts or chicken.

My "smoking" hobby has turned more into a Charcoal BBQ hobby but now most of my grilling cooks are coal instead of gas.
Since getting my performer a few months back i have been working on mastering Steak. I am learning to cook better cuts and i definitely don't do well done anymore.

I have been doing "sear and slide" on a two zone fire with decent results but it seemed like the steaks were still getting a bit overcooked, usually do to inattention on my part as i'm usually doing several pieces of different meats simultaneously while chasing my two year old around the yard too.

I don't know why i waited so long but yesterday i finally uses the maverick on steak and did a reverse sear. One over filled chimney filled my charbaskets were on opposite sides of the kettle to the point where they overflowed and the grate was sitting on the coals.

I cooked the steak indirect over the center of the kettle until it reached 125 on the maverick. I moved the food away and centered the charbaskets  under the removable section of the gourmet grate, allowed the center of the grate to heat up  and then gave the steak a quick sear on each side and let it rest. Steak was a perfect medium rare.

This was a super easy cook. Once the steak was on and covered i left it alone for a bit until it got closed to 125. I've tried doing this checking with an instant read thermometer but the maverick really simplified the process. Once the meat was on i was able to clean up all my food prep and get my sides ready. I also feel that doing the sear at the end of the cook gives me way more control. I think knowing that the steak is already close to target temp keeps me from going overboard on searing and therefore prevents me from overcooking the steak.

Speaking of sides: lately i have cut back on the carbs so these days i skip the spuds and go with veggies with my steak,

I took a veggie mix of broccoli cauliflower & carrots. Tossed with olive oil salt and pepper and put in a tin foil pouch. I let them roast indirect and then opened pouch flat  to cook veggies direct over the coals to finish and get some grill marks. The veggies were almost as good as the steak!

I apologize there were no photos, phone was charging while i cooked.   
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Why did i wait so long to do this??? (Reverse sear using a Maverick)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:06:30 AM »
I can tell from this how everything just came together so well. Congrats!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:59:47 PM »
Glad it worked out, and great write up.
I've been wanting to try a reverse sear for a while now, and you may have just convinced me!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 06:28:30 PM »
Don't you just love it when the light comes on and you go ah ha!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:12:13 PM »
I have been doing it to pork tenderloin lately, great results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 11:17:06 PM »
Glad to hear ya gave it a try, it's my favorite way to do rib eye's to rare
and then top them with a blue cheese compound butter.. So good
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 09:14:49 AM »
@iCARRY knowing how easy this was, i will likely do my next pork chops this way too since they seem to be the bane of my BBQ existence.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 09:19:24 AM »
Cook them chops rare. I pull my tenderloin at 135

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 09:24:36 AM »
@iCARRY knowing how easy this was, i will likely do my next pork chops this way too since they seem to be the bane of my BBQ existence.

I did a chop this way, not long ago. Came out great.
Still need a 22” yellow

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »
Lol! Its like your writing about this experience reading from my brain. I did the exact same thing.
I had 17 to cook for for mothers day meal for the family. I bought a 7lb whole prime tenderloin which I cut into steaks. I had been reading about members doing a reverse sear technique so I figured I'd give my new 26r a workout. I loaded coals just like you did but I used some grill bricks to give me a decent heat barrier. I seared and cross hatched to finish at 125ish. I didn't move the heat tho. Just used the  hot zone as it was already hot. I personally think the finished product was too tender, but I didn't hear any complaints.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.