Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grate Talk!  (Read 7684 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Grate Talk!
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »
I haven't been very happy with the weber original grates. I have burned out several. Now Weber has figured out a way to spread the bars out further and use thinner metal on them. Since I have switched to a Craycort I haven't looked back. I just thought this might be a good place to vent and share your grate experiences.

What kind of grate do you use and why?

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Grate Talk!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
what happens when you burn out the grates? i've never had a problem yet

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »
It happens when you grill indirect at high heats and the flames scorch the plating off of one side. Next it starts to rust and becomes pretty much unusable. They really don't last very long when you are grilling six to seven days a week. :o

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:22:34 AM »
interesting

i'll have to keep an eye on mine. i wish i knew which grate was my original - i have 5 or 6 grates that get used nowadays.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »
I roached the shit out of my grate last week.  I bet my grill was at 900 and the grate was all warped and rusty.  I did hose it with pam and cook some hot dogs.  Seems okay now.

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
I roached the shit out of my grate last week.  I bet my grill was at 900 and the grate was all warped and rusty.  I did hose it with pam and cook some hot dogs.  Seems okay now.

Brian
The problem is they get to the point you don't want to put food on them when the rust really sets in. Pam and grease can't help them anymore. :(

Scotty Da Q

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 10:52:13 AM »
If the grates rust.... you're not using them enough. They need to be constantly coated with meat grease!

My kettle is in such sad shape.

The things that used to hold up the ash bucket are gone and I rigged it with wire. The sweepers are shot. The charcoal grate dips about an inch.
I've used that sucker for indirect cooking so much that the porcelain got all pissed off and wanted to leave!

Look at this shit... LOOK AT IT!
Regards,
Scotty Da Q

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »
You need to put that kettle out of it's misery! Don't flames burn grease off?  I'm talking about grilling, not smoking. I cook on mine 6-7 days a week. I don't even own a stove or oven. I also hate those flip up grates, but they would probably last longer if I only dropped it down on the flames when I needed to. Weber  grates suck!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 01:19:01 PM »
i've had mine red hot (seriously) - but they haven't rusted or pitted yet.

do performers come with different grates? my grates are the ones from the performer

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »
If the grates rust.... you're not using them enough. They need to be constantly coated with meat grease!

My kettle is in such sad shape.

The things that used to hold up the ash bucket are gone and I rigged it with wire. The sweepers are shot. The charcoal grate dips about an inch.
I've used that sucker for indirect cooking so much that the porcelain got all pissed off and wanted to leave!

Look at this shit... LOOK AT IT!

Go buy new sweepers, and go throw the coal grate upside down on the driveway and step on it.  Then for God's sake get some wood handles  :)

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:19:59 AM »
I know what you mean Scotty!  Those plastic handles are terrible!

Vermin99

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »
the bowl on my kettle looks exactly like that!!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
Weber says the porcelain is under warrantee for life. ;)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 05:20:49 AM »
I just keep seeing plastic handles!

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 08:40:16 AM »
Scotty, your bowl looks like Chewbacca took a shit on it!  Call Weber and get a new bowl.....NOW YOU STUPID COW!
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot