Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Plug-in Therm?  (Read 2489 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
First Plug-in Therm?
« on: January 18, 2013, 05:24:44 AM »
I use a stick therm now, (and I need a new one of those too) but am interested in a remote plug in. I know there are a lot of opinions, but I'm curious: what would you recommend for someone who is not a competition cooker, and rarely has more than a single grill going? I see a lot of them in photos people are posting, so help me out. What to buy? What NOT to buy? What to ask for for my birthday?

Thanks!

Marty

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: First Plug-in Therm?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:25:23 AM »
I have a Maverick ET-73 and ET-732 and am happy with both. I've been using the ET-73 for a couple years now and have not had any problems with it. Most of the use is in a smoker in which I have installed eyelets so there is little stress on the leads. I do occasionally use them on a kettle and in that application, I run the meat probe under the lid and simply dangle the cooker probe through the top vent.

The important difference between the two is the temperature range. The ET-73 has a max reading of 410º F and much more than that risks damage to the probe. This range is adequate for smoking but if you're looking to get cooker temp on a kettle it may not be enough. The ET-732 can read over 500º and resists damage up to 716º F. The ET-732 is also supposed to have better range and does not require you to open the battery compartment to turn the remote on.

Of course the most important thing is that the ET-732 comes in colors. I paid $2 extra to get "special edition black."  ;D

Edit: I do not compete. I just want good results when I cook. For something like steaks or chops the Taylor Weekend Warrior is fine but for longer cooks like smoke roasted chicken or turkey the remote thermometer is helpful. On days when the outside temperature drops well below freezing, it's great to be able to monitor the cook from the comfort of my couch. It also eliminates the necessity to open the cooker to monitor progress.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:29:01 AM by HankB »
kettles, smokers...

ROB_STANG2000

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:09:44 AM »
I also have the Maverick ET-732, and the Weber 6438 Professional-Grade Digital Thermometer.  I will have to say I like the maverick better than the Weber one because the Maverick has two probes so I can monitor the fire and the meet at the same time, or I can plug in two meet probes and watch two things at one time.  The range is great on both of them.  The Maverick is a little better quality, and seams to b easier to use. 
Proud owner of a Lime Green22.5, Red 22.5 silver, Black 22.5 Silver 18.5 custom , two smoky Joes witch one has been converted to a custom smoker,  a Weber Summit Silver, and a UDS.

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »
Maverick ET-732 is the way to go!!
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:46:39 PM »
et-732 is a fantastic device

i got an igrill for christmas and its no comparison

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:07:06 AM »
I have used both the Maverick 73 and 732.  They have both worked well for me, and I would highly recommend getting a 732. As Hank pointed out, the 732 works in a wider range of temps, but the reason I prefer it is because of its longer range.  The 73 would lose the signal when I got just a few yards away, but the 732 works through all the walls in my house and etc..  Plus, it makes a beeping sound when it loses the signal-- the 73 would just go blank and quiet.

I have to say that neither has great design or interface-- the 73 has the on/off switch mysteriously hidden inside the battery cover, and even the 732 requires some really weird and non-intuitive and time-consuming button-pushing to set the alarms for high and low temp limits on the pit probe and high limits on the food probe.  But wow, once those are set, overnight smokes become a much less stressful affair-- the Maverick will wake you up when your smoker needs attention. 

One other thing I've learned the hard way:  the temp probes are very sensitive to water damage.  After working through a few, I basically never wash the pit probe, and clean the meat probe with a scrubber/damp sponge.  Even a little bit of water will kill those things quick. 

Enjoy your new toy, Marty!
One of the charcoal people.