Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook on 26: chicken thighs, potatoes, snap peas  (Read 3872 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
First cook on 26: chicken thighs, potatoes, snap peas
« on: June 02, 2015, 02:02:06 PM »
Put 60 miles on the vehicle today locating a 7444 ash sweep, reinforced cut off wheel, borrowing my brother in law's Dremel ...

5lb bag of red potatoes seasoned with Weber Honey and Garlic Rub with pats of butter on top. We don't have their brand of rubs in Georgia so I had to try one. Thought I would use it on the chicken but the potatoes were talking to me and it seemed to make more sense there.

Now what about the chicken in that case? Same thing? Coulda, but decided that would be too much of ya know, same flavor. I got out a small bowl and poured in some local salad dressing, some of the red rooster and Weber Garlic and Herb. Filled 3 gallon bags with trimmed boneless, skinless thighs and the marinade. They will have been in the fridge maybe an hour.

Charcoal should be lit by now. Gotta go check. Had to bend the chimney's swing handle back into shape (it came with the grill ...) The other day when I used it the first time it came off as I was lifting and tilting the coals into the other machine. Not fun.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First cook on 26: chicken thighs, potatoes, snap peas
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 02:25:32 PM »
Dad: "Why so much food? Are you going to need to use both grills?"
Smug dork: "Eh, I don't think so."

Seems I might be wrong? I'll be "turning" the potatoes and whatnot but there isn't room for the chicken.

Might just need a little more real estate, better start this soaking (also came with grill.) Wow is that faucet slow.

Not sure how this is all gonna "pan" out so to speak.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 02:46:52 PM »
So I've turned the potato pans and took tongs to them, shuffling them up. I envisioned giving them a good hour alone prior to the chicken's appearance but I don't think that's going to happen. Dinner was mentioned as 6:00, 15 minutes from now and the chicken's not on yet. Another in a series of miscalculations.

Needed a throw away sponge here, not a scraper. Could clean it up OK right over the coals but don't think I want to use it at this point. Another grill would have been smart.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »
So.

Potatoes taking their time. So they got moved on top of the heat. Sizzle sizzle, stir. Chicken on, but dang it's so cold WAY over where they are. "Is this thing even on?" They said. "Somebody get me a coat. Little chilly in here."

The decision was made to purge the freakin' potatoes to the microwave to finish since they're seriously cramping my style and the flavor should already be well set. I'm over it. Delegated my sister to work them over and the snap peas.

Hey, now we'll have chicken too. Eventually.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 04:07:34 PM »
Just prior to this is when I get edgy & lite an 18".....

Heap 'O stuff ya got goin' there, my man !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »
Looks great! I always put a little "VERY LITTLE" water in the pan for the potatoes. and cover with tinfoil and start it about 30min before the meat. If I didn't know better this was one of my cooks.

Dad: "Why so much food? Are you going to need to use both grills?" Maybe the kid was on to something :).

looks like you have a cooker in the making.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 06:56:29 PM »
chugging along ...

So I had to cheat and cut into some to see how they were doing but caught them just at the right time, after moving them around a while. Juicy, tender, good flavor. Not at all "hot" from the red rooster. My dad and sister probably never had boneless chicken thighs and didn't know what to make of the weird non-shapes.

blurry potatoes ..

snap peas ..

local ice cream trip afterwards!

I had picked up various smoke woods and completely forgot to use any until too late in the melee. Would've helped in my opinion. I think what happened is I didn't want to smoke the potatoes and was going to add some smoke wood later, after the potatoes were off, meh. Yet another reason I should have cranked up the Performer for the chicken. Foolish pride!

The lid to this kettle fits perfectly, better than any other kettle I've owned. Fits as well as my dad's Performer lid in the background shots and (with the help of the new ash sweeps) cools down VERY quickly like his does. This beast's gonna be very stingy with charcoal!  ;D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 07:05:20 PM »
Excellent cookup.....all the way!!!!!

Did you already fix the leg & stuff, or just cooking on a slant to start with?

That kettle is something special......very special........ 8) 8) 8)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
Put 60 miles on the vehicle today locating a 7444 ash sweep.

Damn! Where the hell did you have to go to get it??

some local salad dressing

Love Hendrickson's... good choice.

Looks like everything turned out pretty damn good n tasty!  Very nice!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 11:12:51 PM »
Wait you RAN out of room on a 26"  :o :o  That ain't supposed to happen!  ;D ;D ;D  Excellent looking chicken, potatoes and snap peas!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 05:54:00 AM »
... Did you already fix the leg & stuff, or just cooking on a slant to start with? ...

No time. Also, while swapping out the sweeps I saw that a second leg also has a screw in it. All 3 wobble, no surprise for a 15 yr old 26er I suppose.

I still like my earlier idea of using the triangle as a fulcrum and add a rod (or rods?) tensioning the legs somehow. Task for another day, another city perhaps. Until then it's name is Gangster, for it's gangster lean. I'll have to watch where I place hot dogs on it so's they don't roll around.

Oh! And I did pull off the crutch tip. No wear on the leg at all ... so the leg is still the correct length unless the seller flipped the leg and made a new hole for the triangle. Stranger things have happened, right?

Put 60 miles on the vehicle today locating a 7444 ash sweep.

Damn! Where the hell did you have to go to get it?? ...

Staying in O'Fallon and there's no ACE's here until you get to 270. Some local hardware thing downtown O'Fallon but I checked them out last year, no Weber. And the HD/Lowes around here would never stock that. A couple Do It Best stores are a little closer but they only carry lumber from the franchise, not Weber parts (I know the one in downtown Webster Groves has Weber parts and grills ...) I remembered one of the Rick's ACE stores has a large and impressive Weber setup but they didn't have it. Glad I called first, only 1 of Rick's stores had it. So O'Fallon > Des Peres (Manchester Rd store), ~ 30 mi each way.

I should have just asked my dad a few weeks ago if he could move the lever and I would have bought one (from Amazon ...) and saved $5.

Wait you RAN out of room on a 26"  :o :o  That ain't supposed to happen! 

LOL it is when you put a 5lb bag of potatoes into two 11x9 pans and then try to shoehorn in 4-5lbs of chicken.

"Way too much." But we had potatoes to dice for breakfast this morning. And tomorrow morning. And ...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 06:02:16 AM »
Still a grate cook......possible potato strategy (yes, I'm way into "potato strategy") might be to cook awhile, foil over the pans & go basement when the other stuff happens.....foil over to keep ash & chix drips out?

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 07:42:48 AM »
Dad: "Why so much food? Are you going to need to use both grills?"
Smug dork: "Eh, I don't think so."

Seems I might be wrong? I'll be "turning" the potatoes and whatnot but there isn't room for the chicken.

Clearly you need another 26" or Ranch ASAP! ;D
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 08:50:16 AM »
Oh I clearly need a Ranch, yessir.

And Ken, yes I did consider doing that but for whatever reason had a brain fart about knowing I could freakin' foil them to prevent ash and chix drips ... I was probably thinking the foil would slow them down (also, wrong I suppose). Bottom line, more time, more Ranch. :)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »
Beauty cook and....I love the look of that Black 26er....just farking love it I do.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"