Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked Up a 1984 Red Weber Gas Kettle Cart (RRR)  (Read 16867 times)

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
Re: Picked Up a 1984 Red Weber Gas Kettle Cart (RRR)
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 07:33:18 AM »
I happened to see this in a front yard while driving by the other day.  Circled back several times to see what the heck it was and ended up knocking on the door. Spoke with the "owner" who has several Weber gassers and picked this one up at a yard sale many years ago.  He gave it to his tenant who has been using it all summer.  Lid handle re-welded on, definitely a cooker, but very cool to see in person.

Another one! Too cool! Did you get to peek inside and see what condition it was in? I guess pretty good since he's actually cooking on it.
It had a number of lava rocks in place, so I could not see the burner. Looked like a kettle with charcoal at first glance.
Uncommon sense seeker

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »
I happened to see this in a front yard while driving by the other day.  Circled back several times to see what the heck it was and ended up knocking on the door. Spoke with the "owner" who has several Weber gassers and picked this one up at a yard sale many years ago.  He gave it to his tenant who has been using it all summer.  Lid handle re-welded on, definitely a cooker, but very cool to see in person.

Another one! Too cool! Did you get to peek inside and see what condition it was in? I guess pretty good since he's actually cooking on it.
It had a number of lava rocks in place, so I could not see the burner. Looked like a kettle with charcoal at first glance.

Ok thanks.

That must have been the first thought the guy I bought mine from had, because it turns out he was filling it with charcoal and lighting it.  :o
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
Man am I a procrastinator...

I see it's been a little over two years since I started this thread and I've done nothing (except get some really beautiful wood for it). I went out this morning to start working on it and pulled the old deflector out and was kind of surprised at how little it was. See now that I have a normal Weber 22 Kettle Gasser I have a source of comparison. Here's a picture of the deflector that came with the WGKC (lighter shade of metal) laying on top of the deflector in my standard 22 Gasser Kettle. I wonder if this is part of the reason these cart versions didn't last long. Has anyone ever seen a smaller deflector like this in a normal gas kettle?

P.S. I fixed the image links in the original post. I apparently lost my hosting site some time back and it broke all the image links. Fortunately I had them saved off so I could fix the links.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:32:44 AM by AZRaptor »
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »
Wow! Cool specimen.  Thanks for bumping with an update. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2017, 06:14:25 PM »
ok I only kinda know what your all getting at about the baffle but.... what if you got a stainless pizza pan and hammer it to concave it some and then cut out the middle. like making a stainless 18 ash pan

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 04:34:32 AM »

I see it's been a little over two years since I started this thread and I've done nothing (except get some really beautiful wood for it). I went out this morning to start working on it and pulled the old deflector out and was kind of surprised at how little it was. See now that I have a normal Weber 22 Kettle Gasser I have a source of comparison. Here's a picture of the deflector that came with the WGKC (lighter shade of metal) laying on top of the deflector in my standard 22 Gasser Kettle. I wonder if this is part of the reason these cart versions didn't last long. Has anyone ever seen a smaller deflector like this in a normal gas kettle?

P.S. I fixed the image links in the original post. I apparently lost my hosting site some time back and it broke all the image links. Fortunately I had them saved off so I could fix the links.
@AZRaptor I have a NG perm mount kettle I will look at tonight I believe the deflector is smaller I will compare with my regular gas kettle and let you know
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »

@AZRaptor I have a NG perm mount kettle I will look at tonight I believe the deflector is smaller I will compare with my regular gas kettle and let you know

The black is from a NOS 1979 perm mount NG kettle the older is from 1984 gas kettle deluxe the 79 is actually bigger much lighter and appears to be porcelain probably doesn't help answer your question first time i took any pieces out of the box LOL the one from the 84 may be ss pretty heavy gauge 

Sent From My Weber Seeking Samsung

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2017, 06:22:43 PM »
Hey Liquid, yeah something like that may work, I thought about having one fabricated locally, but for the first round I may just pull the one off my standard Gasser and see how that works to get an idea.

JEBIV, thanks for checking, they look pretty close in size thought there is definitely a difference. I also never realized they made a porcelain covered one, very cool.