Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked Up a 1984 Red Weber Gas Kettle Cart (RRR)  (Read 16788 times)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:57:40 AM by AZRaptor »
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: Picked Up a 1984 Red Weber Gas Kettle Cart (RRR)
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 12:18:15 PM »
That's it.

You can't use the Direct/Indirect knob with it. I've got mine resting on fire bricks which also raises it higher than the stand-off.
Dude, relax your chicken.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »
I do have the stand off and I can probably get the outer diameter from what's left of my baffle, and as you mention it, get the inner measurement I need from the burner.

I don't have resources to fab one, but thinking I might be able to modify something if I find something about the same size.

Yeah, for a while I kept thinking I'd be able to maybe find a real shallow SS bowl. As I recall, the diameter may be around 12-14 inches.

But I gave up after I got the wok. That's why I was asking if you could fab one  ;)

On a side note, my burner is in good shape, but I wanted a replacement so  as to not wear out the original. When searching for parts for my Weber 101001 Gas Kettle Grill, I ran across a replacement burner, but it's not truly a replacement as the flange is upside-down, so it won't work with the baffle. I think it's just patio heater burner.

I got it anyway because it was cheap. It drops right in and works great as a wok burner. They've more than doubled in price since then.

Is this the one you bought?

http://www.amazon.com/Music-City-Metals-12101-Replacement/dp/B000HK9Y0A

That's it.

You can't use the Direct/Indirect knob with it. I've got mine resting on fire bricks which also raises it higher than the stand-off.

OK, you guys are now speaking a language that few on the planet can understand....... :o  8) 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 01:57:48 PM »
Someone will be thanking us later when they pick up a kettle gasser

8)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 02:05:10 PM »
Someone will be thanking us later when they pick up a kettle gasser

8)

I'll "Thank You" now & get that out of the way...... 8)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 08:18:26 PM »
The outer dimension of my Indirect Baffle is 11 3/4". I almost wondered if I could get an ash pan for an 18.5" kettle and cut the center out of it, but it's only 11" in diameter and 1) I'm not sure the gas would get close enough to the igniter, 2) I believe these are aluminum and not stainless steel and 3) they may be too deep.

Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2015, 03:00:49 AM »
Aluminium might just melt?

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 04:41:39 AM »
With the way these baffles crumble into dust they may not have been stainless, but I thought there was some sort of health concern about heating aluminum really hot, and as you mention it may not be able to withstand the heat.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2015, 08:10:40 AM »
That I think would work. Your indirect cooking area would just be a little smaller at 11".

And buckie is right (no suprise), not the aluminum pan.

A curved stainless pan - deeper than a plate, shallower than a  bowl. Easy, right?

::)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2015, 08:18:23 AM »
This is the hole in mine...

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 12:20:02 PM »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »
Possibly. But we'd need to re-form it a bit to direct the flames up and out to the edge. 

I don't remember if the distance to the rock grate is enough, but I think there's enough room.

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »
I happened to see this in a front yard while driving by the other day.  Circled back several times to see what the heck it was and ended up knocking on the door. Spoke with the "owner" who has several Weber gassers and picked this one up at a yard sale many years ago.  He gave it to his tenant who has been using it all summer.  Lid handle re-welded on, definitely a cooker, but very cool to see in person.

Uncommon sense seeker

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2015, 08:01:15 AM »
Ooooooh a Genesis prototype!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »
I happened to see this in a front yard while driving by the other day.  Circled back several times to see what the heck it was and ended up knocking on the door. Spoke with the "owner" who has several Weber gassers and picked this one up at a yard sale many years ago.  He gave it to his tenant who has been using it all summer.  Lid handle re-welded on, definitely a cooker, but very cool to see in person.

Another one! Too cool! Did you get to peek inside and see what condition it was in? I guess pretty good since he's actually cooking on it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:56:40 PM by AZRaptor »