Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked Up a 1984 Red Weber Gas Kettle Cart (RRR)  (Read 16854 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Picked Up a 1984 Red Weber Gas Kettle Cart (RRR)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 07:53:03 AM »
@DirectDrive  did that repair and he did a great job. How's it holding up, DD?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 08:01:28 AM »

Hasn't been here for a time.....real together fellow & great posts....

Thanks @1buckie

I've got VHT Caliper paint in red (outside) and black (inside) in my Amazon cart to order, just trying to decide if I want to give the JB Weld High Heat Epoxy a try to make a smooth surface before painting it. Joe F over at tvwbb had a fix he used it for on a WSM lid and it looks really good. My only concern is the JB Weld temp limit is 500 while the caliper paint is 900. Not sure if the paint will protect the epoxy or if the epoxy is going to undermind the paint. It is a gasser so I'm hoping the issues people see when they paint the charcoal kettles won't be as much a concern since the heat source isn't right up against the bowl. Well at least not quite as close I think. (Maybe in indirect mode).

Looked at this again.....might want to leave the paint out of the inside, try a bacon fat burnout......the stuff is "rated" at a certain point, but what your thermo reads is not what's actually going on right at the charcoal area.....way different....

1500 degrees might be common for a hefty stack of banked coals.....that's a guess, but from the discoloration I got on the Painted Pony Orange, seems right....

Really need somebody w/ an infrared therm to see what a big pile of coals acts like..... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 10:25:11 AM »
Thanks for the compliment, gummi !
Holding up very well but it's on a WSM which of course doesn't run as hot as a kettle can.
Labor-intensive fix, but worth the effort. For anything more than one or two spots I would go insane. (well, more insane  ;D)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 11:39:32 AM »
Thanks for the compliment, gummi !
Holding up very well but it's on a WSM which of course doesn't run as hot as a kettle can.
Labor-intensive fix, but worth the effort. For anything more than one or two spots I would go insane. (well, more insane  ;D)

Glad to see you stop by......meant what I said !!!!!

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 09:49:03 PM »
Thanks @1buckie

I've got VHT Caliper paint in red (outside) and black (inside) in my Amazon cart to order, just trying to decide if I want to give the JB Weld High Heat Epoxy a try to make a smooth surface before painting it. Joe F over at tvwbb had a fix he used it for on a WSM lid and it looks really good. My only concern is the JB Weld temp limit is 500 while the caliper paint is 900. Not sure if the paint will protect the epoxy or if the epoxy is going to undermind the paint. It is a gasser so I'm hoping the issues people see when they paint the charcoal kettles won't be as much a concern since the heat source isn't right up against the bowl. Well at least not quite as close I think. (Maybe in indirect mode).

Looked at this again.....might want to leave the paint out of the inside, try a bacon fat burnout......the stuff is "rated" at a certain point, but what your thermo reads is not what's actually going on right at the charcoal area.....way different....

1500 degrees might be common for a hefty stack of banked coals.....that's a guess, but from the discoloration I got on the Painted Pony Orange, seems right....

Really need somebody w/ an infrared therm to see what a big pile of coals acts like..... 8)

Yeah I suspect the coals would easily get over that, but being a gasser I wasn't sure how hot this would run. Maybe I'll just clean up the inside and season the exposed metal as you mentioned.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 02:35:34 AM »
Yeah, geez......GAS kettle......what AM I thinking?

(probably not much !!!)

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 03:48:20 AM »
JB Weld will not work for that temperature.  Several of us have used this product.  It works great.  You have to exactly follow the directions (i.e. mixing the product well).

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-18003-QuikSteel-Temperature/dp/B0084AA2LK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433677381&sr=8-2&keywords=quik+steel

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 05:51:22 AM »
Yeah, geez......GAS kettle......what AM I thinking?

(probably not much !!!)

Understandable, the charcoal to gasser ratio is about 3billion to 1. :)
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 05:52:36 AM »
JB Weld will not work for that temperature.  Several of us have used this product.  It works great.  You have to exactly follow the directions (i.e. mixing the product well).

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-18003-QuikSteel-Temperature/dp/B0084AA2LK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433677381&sr=8-2&keywords=quik+steel

Thanks @harris92 I'll give this a try instead.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 07:04:11 PM »

Thanks @harris92 I'll give this a try instead.
Looks like a good product.
Spread it accurately so as to minimize sanding.
Typically these products don't sand well.
I did a wet sand on mine and with the correct wet sandpaper the process went well. 

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 07:11:06 PM »
Can someone who has a gasser kettle give me the inner and outer diameter of the Indirect Baffle? and possibly the grease cup.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:42:24 PM by AZRaptor »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 05:59:52 AM »
I don't have a grease cup.

My indirect baffle is shot. I can measure the outside diameter but I don't have an inside diameter.

The burner is designed to drop into the baffle, so measuring the burner should give you what you want for the inside diameter.

Do you have the resources to make one?

Do you have the standoff for the baffle?
Dude, relax your chicken.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 08:02:32 AM »
I do have the stand off and I can probably get the outer diameter from what's left of my baffle, and as you mention it, get the inner measurement I need from the burner.

I don't have resources to fab one, but thinking I might be able to modify something if I find something about the same size.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:04:38 AM by AZRaptor »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »
Yeah, for a while I kept thinking I'd be able to maybe find a real shallow SS bowl. As I recall, the diameter may be around 12-14 inches.

But I gave up after I got the wok. That's why I was asking if you could fab one  ;)

On a side note, my burner is in good shape, but I wanted a replacement so  as to not wear out the original. When searching for parts for my Weber 101001 Gas Kettle Grill, I ran across a replacement burner, but it's not truly a replacement as the flange is upside-down, so it won't work with the baffle. I think it's just patio heater burner.

I got it anyway because it was cheap. It drops right in and works great as a wok burner. They've more than doubled in price since then.
Dude, relax your chicken.