Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up a nice gasser  (Read 2627 times)

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
Picked up a nice gasser
« on: May 31, 2015, 05:55:14 AM »
I had been on the prowl for an old Genesis gasser for awhile......preferably with the wooden tables and a side burner. Then this nice Silver C popped up literally about 5 miles from my house and I couldn't pass it up. Mainly because the price was right, and it matches the green bowl on my Performer.  It needs new grates and flavor bars (already ordered heavy duty SS replacements from RCplanebuyer on EBay).  Other than that, it is in great shape and solid throughout. I can't wait to get it cleaned and fired up.

BTW.....does anyone know if they sell different different versions of the warming rack and basket (maybe a plated version and a SS version)?  I've found two different part numbers that supposedly will fit, but they are both plated.

80632 and 80633 are the part numbers I came up with through Weber, but I also see 7513 and 7514.  They all appear to be plated steel. I wouldn't mind paying extra for SS if I can find them. I found and aftermarket warming rack made from SS, but nothing for the basket. Anyone have any luck finding a SS basket?
-Keith

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: Picked up a nice gasser
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:00:36 AM »
I don't think that they ever made a stainless steel version of either the warming rack or the basket. That's a nice grill-keep an eye on the back corners and the left hand side rail of the frame-those are the spots they are prone to rusting out.  Keep leaves and junk from accumulating, and maybe touch it up with high heat rustoleum Ultra high heat and that thing will last forever.  I like the light set up on that too, by the way.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:01:08 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I noticed a little surface rust on the brackets around the burner manifold.  The rest of the frame "looks" good from what I can see.  I'm going to pull the fire box and give it a wire brush and touch up if I see anything I don't like.
-Keith

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 07:15:38 AM »
Got it all cleaned up and cooking food again. I ordered new grates and flavorizer bars from RCplanebuyer on eBay......and WOW these are heavy duty, especially the grates.  The frame is rock solid with only a tiny bit of surface rust that I touched up. I also replaced the warmer rack, basket, main igniter, catch pan holder, most of the grill hardware with SS stuff from the hardware store, and bought a new cover for it. I'll take some more pics one the sun comes out, but here was its first meal since the makeover. It will never replace my charcoal grills, but I'm really going to like having it around. Especially for cooking with my cast iron. Those potatoes turned out great.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:20:56 AM by OoPEZoO »
-Keith

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 08:07:21 AM »
that grill should last you are very long time. I plan to upgrade my gasser with rcplanebuyer bits as well.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 05:59:10 PM »
Nice. I'm sure you will really like the grill. It's a nice compliment to the kettles.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 05:18:01 AM »
It helps that it matches the color of both my SS and 2nd Gen performers. Looks great on the deck
-Keith