Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thinking of adding a gasser  (Read 7465 times)

jeffinsgf

• Smokey Joe
Re: Thinking of adding a gasser
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 06:22:26 AM »
Just to throw in a couple points.

The trivet is most certainly available in the U.S. It's available at many Weber retailers, direct from Weber's web site, and from Amazon. Be sure you get the right size for your Q2200. While on the subject, I use the Weber roasting shields instead of heavy duty aluminum foil. They're heavier, vented correctly and only a little bit more expensive than HDAF. The trivet and roasting shield gave me the very best roast chicken I have ever cooked...and that's comparing to hundreds and hundreds of really good chickens. The trivet is extremely well made from excellent materials. It cleans up like a dream. There's no other accessory that will get you a bigger bang for your buck than the trivet, in my opinion.

I bought an A-Maze-N Smoking Tube to use with my Q3200. Put a handful of pellets in the tube, light them and put it on a corner of the grill. Works great on the Q, where there's not a good place to lay a foil packet of chips.

The porcelain grid is one of my favorite features. Years ago Weber Australia recommended dipping a brush in water and scrubbing a hot grill. That method was withdrawn without explanation as to why, and you can still find the video on YouTube. What scant explanation you can find talks about problems in the body, not on the grill. Feeling that the method must have had some redeeming qualities, I modified it a bit, and have been cleaning my grid this way for close to a year without any problems. I bought a huge bundle of bar towels at Sam's. I soak one in water, wring out and fold it until it is a thick pad. I brush the hot grill with a Weber triangle brush, loosening up crud, then wipe with the wet towel. The porcelain cleans up perfectly.

Welcome to the Q family. You're going to love it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 09:52:56 AM »
+1,000 to bar towels from Sam's......could not function without them......

Don't own a Q, but thanks for that thoughtful input for those that do!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Thinking of adding a gasser
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 02:42:47 PM »
AJ328 - I see 3 burner genesis grills quite often on CL. As stated, they can be picked up pretty cheap, and with a little rehab will be working as new. I have an older Genesis bought new in 2004. I got replacement burners still on warranty a couple of years ago and it cooks like it did in 2004. By the way, I live near exit 135 off of the GSP.  In fact, I see many more genesis grills than kettles on CL in my neck of the woods.

minnesotaman82

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 05:20:07 AM »
For what it's worth, I'm very happy with my Genesis E-310, even though I don't think it will last as long as my old Genesis Jr from the mid-90's. The mid 90's Genesis grill were bullet proof. The new ones are still pretty good though, but the bottom of the carts can rust if you don't take care of them.

I did also have a new Spirit (E-310) for a couple of months. It was pretty comparable to the Genesis, but I sold it and upgraded to a new Genesis because I wanted something made in the US.

Seriously thinking about getting a Q. I always though getting a small gasser was pointless, but everyone I talk to who ownes one loves them.

jeffinsgf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 07:18:37 AM »
Minnesotaman & others who wonder about the Q

My personal opinion is it is the shape of the bowl and the hood that make it cook differently than boxier gassers.  The air flow pulls air in through the bottom  and blasts it out the side vents. It is apparent that there is some serious air flow going on in there.  I don't see that on my BIL's Genesis.

It's sort of like comparing a Weber Kettle to one of those square clam shell style covered charcoal grills. It's a lidded grill...what can be different? Try them both and you'll know. Same with the Q.

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 07:59:07 AM »
Minnesotaman & others who wonder about the Q

My personal opinion is it is the shape of the bowl and the hood that make it cook differently than boxier gassers.  The air flow pulls air in through the bottom  and blasts it out the side vents. It is apparent that there is some serious air flow going on in there.  I don't see that on my BIL's Genesis.

I just roasted some poblanos last night to make a batch of rajas con crema and was amazed at how fast they roasted. The tops even started to blister without being over direct heat. The thermo dynamics of this thing are pretty impressive. I'm really happy with the purchase. I think I'm holding off on the genesis unless I get a call or email back about the used ones on craigslist.

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 07:03:09 AM »
This is interesting stuff- I had never heard a review of the Q's.  Now, I must have one.

FWIW - I have a Spirit.  I put Grill Grates on it, and I use it quite often.  I didn't like it much before adding the GG's.

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 07:17:03 AM »
i am also adding a gasser this year.  nice sale going o by me. loks like there will be a Q and a 26 incher added this week.   

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
aj328     if you are close enough to "max is back" in Butler nj,  rt 23 south, they are having a great weber grill sale.   i just purchased a Q3200 for 259.00 out the door.  i might go back and pick up the 26 incher for 60.00 off.  all stock is discounted. sale ends 4 july.  and no, i dont work there. i believe it was 200.00 off on a genesis e320. ceramic lid.

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 06:41:46 AM »
I figure I should put some closure to the thread with some pics

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 02:46:50 PM »
I have 5 gassers and 9 kettles and love all, but sometimes it is nice to have a Gasser. I use the kettle about 95% of the time, but still use a Gasser on accation . I myself if you do a lot of cooking would go with a 3 burner
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 06:24:16 PM »
I recently got a Q 1200, I did not need a table top grill as I used the Smokey Joe when I wanted a small grill but it was for free so why not. What I like about the 1200 is that in addition to the great grilling characteristics it is easy to clean.  The two piece grates easily fit in the kitchen sink and will clean up nicely after sitting awhile in hot water.  I find that the small plastic putty applicators that sell at HD for about dollar or two to be best for scrapping the grease from the bowl into the grease pan. The bowl of the grill then easily wipes clean.  Weber will tell you not to do this but I line the grease pan with aluminum foil and dispose of the foil each time I use it.  It is not hard to keep this looking like new and you will go a long way with this grill on a 20 lb tank of propane.  I think the great grilling is due to the location of the burners in relation to the grill grate and that the grate absorbs all of the heat instead of a metal heat plate.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »
My wife and I are very pleased with our Q.  Definitely no regrets
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM