Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22in vs 26in  (Read 19026 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
22in vs 26in
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 09:50:50 AM »
I have an old style 26 (1969-72) and I use it often. The real estate increase is worth it. One advantage (for me) with the old style 26s is that the cooking grate sits lower but if I want to raise it I use a ring of expanded metal to bring it up away from the heat or in other words to "modern 26" grate height. Best of both worlds. My 26 to 22 cooking ratio currently is 55/45, but other times I use it 70/30 percent compared to 22s. I do want the modern one too some day.

Jeep

• WKC Brave
Re: 22in vs 26in
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 10:35:39 AM »
A 26er is on my list...i hope that i have dropped enough hints to my boys...Fathers day is close!
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

WKCTodd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 10:46:42 AM »
Wow this is awesome.  There are so many accessories too.  I'm pumped!

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »
I've said it many times......if I was restricted to only having one kettle, I would keep the 26er.  I probably only fire it up once or twice a month due to convenience of the gas assist I have on my 22" grills, but when I need the space, you can't beat the 26er.  I also tend to use it for short smoking cooks like ribs instead of hauling out my big 22" WSM. 
-Keith

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »
I've said it many times......if I was restricted to only having one kettle, I would keep the 26er.  I probably only fire it up once or twice a month due to convenience of the gas assist I have on my 22" grills, but when I need the space, you can't beat the 26er.  I also tend to use it for short smoking cooks like ribs instead of hauling out my big 22" WSM.

My gas Performer has been reduced to warming up the charcoal baskets for my 26er. I use the gas...get the charcoal baskets going and then move them to the 26 for the cook. Best of both worlds.

garykirby

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 02:11:22 PM »
I've been cooking on a 22 OTG for several years.  Just got a 22 WSM a couple months ago, and picked up a 26 OTG a couple weeks ago. I love the extra room on the 26. It will be my "daily driver".  The 22 will be my roto-grill cause I love using the rotisserie.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
If you have an Ace hardware near by do what I did, I ordered a 26" online and had them deliver it free to the store, they emailed me when it was ready and I went to the store to pick it up, real easy (other than waiting for it) to do,problem solved!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »
My 26 gets used the most. But as Ramsfan said - for indirect space a 26 and RK can't be beat!

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 07:30:12 PM »
I had the same questions when I joined the WKC. I had a chance to buy a decent flat top 26er or have a new OTG. I went with the 22. The main reason being cost. I can pick up another 22 (and another and another and another), and get parts cheaply and easily. You just can't do that for the older 26ers. And for a new one it's twice the initial investment, which I just couldn't swing. That made my decision. Now if someone wants to trade a newer 26 for a few of the 22s I've got, I'm down! :)
Growing family = growing kettles!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 07:44:10 PM »
26r is the shizznit!! You will end up with several 22s but I'd say the 26 is a good place to learn how to grill
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 03:46:29 AM »
... To me, the ideal grill would be a Ranch Kettle with a one touch control system and ...

Interesting. Never seen one in person but to me it seems the modern Ranch's ash pan would be pretty easy to use? Unlike any of the others it just sits perched there, unencumbered by leg tangling.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 03:51:04 AM »
... One advantage (for me) with the old style 26s is that the cooking grate sits lower but if I want to raise it I use a ring of expanded metal to bring it up away from the heat or in other words to "modern 26" grate height. ...

@Craig so, expanded steel in a circle, kinda like a charcoal ring, except it just sits on the upper tabs and supports a modern cook grate? If you have any design dimensions or pix I'd appreciate it. :)

I don't often cook a lot of "tall" foods and would like the ability to use a modern 26er's cook grate on my '90s machine I'm about to meet next week!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 05:00:14 AM »

... One advantage (for me) with the old style 26s is that the cooking grate sits lower but if I want to raise it I use a ring of expanded metal to bring it up away from the heat or in other words to "modern 26" grate height. ...

@Craig so, expanded steel in a circle, kinda like a charcoal ring, except it just sits on the upper tabs and supports a modern cook grate? If you have any design dimensions or pix I'd appreciate it. :)

I don't often cook a lot of "tall" foods and would like the ability to use a modern 26er's cook grate on my '90s machine I'm about to meet next week!

I'll snap you some pics today. I use the original grate and alternate between it and my Grillmark grates. I don't have a modern flip but I think it would work on the expanded ring.

Modern 26 owners, what's the dimensions of the flip grate?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 06:21:59 AM »
@Craig   Here's that thread with you & Swamp's expanded setups....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mod-month-official-master-thread!/msg136839/#msg136839

Grate idea !!!

(for real !!!)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 06:29:24 AM »
Perfect, thanks! I like how the tabs fit into the ring. I think I just found my project for next week.