Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22in vs 26in  (Read 19038 times)

WKCTodd

• Smokey Joe
22in vs 26in
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:40 AM »
Hi everyone.  I'm new to kettles and have been obsessed with Weber kettles for just about a year now.  I've bought some mini versions for my patio but I'm looking to buy a full size kettle very soon.  I've been toying with the idea of buying a 26in version.  Any thoughts of pros and cons of 22vs26in?  I'm sure this questions has been answered already.  If so, where can I find the post?

Thanks-Todd

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: 22in vs 26in
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 07:54:31 AM »
I just recently picked up a...errr....3....26" Flat tops. I have cooked on 22's for quite a while. The real estate difference between the two is REALLY nice. The obvious con is the 26 is more expensive, but other than that, I think you would be hard pressed to find another con of the 26. Super impressed with the 26....I can see not using a 22 again after seeing all the room I have on the 26. Of course I am also the "weird" guy,  as my wife puts it, that fires up the 26 to heat up only a couple of brats...yep...I like it that much.

So, in a nutshell, both 22's and 26's are awesome, but if you can afford or locate a 26, the real estate advantage is really nice.

WKCTodd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 08:02:54 AM »
Wow thanks for the super fast reply.  You said you purchased flat tops...  Is that a 26in kettle grill with like a griddle/flat top style grilling surface?  Another question, does it take more charcoal to bring the 26in to temperature in comparison to the 22?  Oh and do most members on this forum buy kettles used or what?  Seems like there is a whole new lifestyle to Weber kettle grills that I've just embarked upon...

thanks again, this is very helpful. 

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
really prefer the 26 for everyday cooking.  i probably only "need" the extra space once a week, but when you do...   

the only correct answer here is "both". ;-)
I only use kettles with lid bales.

WKCTodd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:13:22 AM »
Awesome!  Your reply is greatly appreciated.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 08:17:55 AM »
I recently got my first 26.75" and I love it.

I've been cooking on 22.5"/18.5"/Smokey and Jumbo Joes for years.

With that being said, how many people do you feed for the majority of your cooks? Do you do hot fast grilling most of the time or looking for a low/slow option?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 08:18:08 AM »
I have a family of 4, but tend to do some pretty big cooks.
I was always torn on the 26. It didn't SEEM that much bigger, but it's twice the price of a 22 OTG.

In reality, it's nearly double, and the space is SOO much easier to work with.

For the longest time it used multiple 22s whenever I had big cooks. It worked great and offers some advantages over a 26.
You can configure each 22" grill for different cooking styles and heat zones - which makes separating foods easy. Roast 12 ears of corn on one grill, while grilling steak and asparagus on another, etc etc.

But once I got a modern 26, it REALLY upped my game.  There are still times that I need to fire up another grill - but it's usually when I'm having dozens of people over.

Plus look how freaking awesome the new ones look with the new style of wheels.
http://amzn.to/1HLAvKX

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:22:24 AM »
Flat top refers to the shape of the lid. Earlier 26ers, (not the first, but maybe second generation) used a flatter profile - like this one:

Now the lid is more dome-shaped, kind of like the first generation.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »
I use the same baskets in my 26 as I do in my 22 and it takes a little longer to heat up and might use a little more charcoal, but I have not noticed a huge difference on the half dozen or so cooks I have done on it so far.

The only new kettles I have ever bought are when they are on clearance at Target at the end of the season to use for parts for my other kettles.

Check craigslist or post your location on here and I am sure someone can help hook you up with a good deal on one and save you some money from the stores.

But Greg is right....why choose....get both and have the best of both worlds. I currently have the 26 and a Performer on my patio that I cook on almost daily.

Also, go to Lowes today and stock up on Charcoal as today is the last day of the sale on the twin packs of Kingsford and start cookin'

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 08:52:06 AM »
I too prefer the increased real estate on the 26er, however I seem to have made it such that I need the increased cooking area. Like you @WKCTodd I began my kettle obsession about a year go and simply picked up a used 22.5 on Craigslist. The more I used it though the more stuff I wanted to cook on it, to simplify things and keep the house cooler. Luckily while traveling I scoped out the Craigslist for area I was going to found a used 26er.

So to answer your question I think both would be ideal as you can have different setups. To start though I recommend getting the 26er to maximize space and get cooking. Then in due time keep your eyes open for a used 22.5 on Craigslist. My typical setup is my primary (whether smoking meat, indirect chicken, cast iron skillet) food goes on the 26er and sides (veggies, turds, etc) go on the 22.5. 

WKCTodd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
@THUNDERDOME

I usually cook for myself and one or two other people.  I do a combination of slow and fast high heat cooking.  Everyone's replies have been really appreciated.  This forum is awesome.  There is so much to learn about kettles!

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 09:10:03 AM »
To me, the only kettle to consider for practical everyday use is either a 26 or a Ranch Kettle. They are both very large with a lot of room and space to work with and cook on. I have them both and wish I could narrow it down to either one or the other, but I can't because each has something I like that the other doesn't. I have a brand new 22 inch Performer Platinum sitting in my garage that I haven't used in almost a year.

The 26 has one touch control and the ash collection feature, but it's smaller than the Ranch Kettle and isn't mounted on a four wheeled cart (which I love). The Ranch Kettle on the other hand, is larger, it's mounted on a four wheel cart and can accommodate a built-in Weber light for night time cooking. To me, the ideal grill would be a Ranch Kettle with a one touch control system and a side table that flips up and down like the Performer Silver. If Weber ever produced that, I would refinance my home to buy it if that's what it took.

Between a 22 and a 26, I would go with a 26 without thinking twice. Keep in mind that older "flat top" 26'ers produced in the 1990's use a different size cooking grate that is no longer available. So if it were me, I would go with a newer 26 if you can.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 09:23:23 AM »
My best estimation is X 1.15 or 15% more fuel is needed to get about the same level of heat generally going as opposed to a 22"....BUT, the other thing I also noticed is that same heat seems to stay running somewhat longer a length of time & more stable / even for the  duration......

There's fewer 26'ers out there used, but all different kinds of good clean deals on used 22"'s

Conclusion.....get both !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »
really prefer the 26 for everyday cooking.  i probably only "need" the extra space once a week, but when you do...   

the only correct answer here is "both". ;-)

Or "which three to light up today..?"

I light up 2 performers almost weekly and the day gets better when the wsm is puffing smoke next to them.... (even better when both wsms are billowing smoke)

Note to self: keep plastic tarp and tools in trunk and always keep cash in hand for popup local cl buys.

I thinknthe right answer is...they are allbright answers...andnif you joined this forum...start clearing space out in the back deck for the incoming fleet
Grills

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »
I feed 4 regularly and probably use my 22.5" the most. BUT...i'm still working w/ the 26.75" so we'll see how the mix-of-use goes