Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brat burgers on the JJ  (Read 2644 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Brat burgers on the JJ
« on: January 20, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »
I decided to break in my Jumbo Joe by making Brat burgers.  I started 40 briqs, once they were going good i put them on each side and let it warm up.   Once it was good to go i put the burgers on and found i was a little cramped for space, after a bit i lifted the grate to reposition my coals( the directions on the burgers is to use a med-low temp) and damped down my intake to lower my temps.  Once they were done we chowed down :) (sorry didn't get a plated pic :-[)

Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Brat burgers on the JJ
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:35:12 AM »

"A man has got to know his limitations"

My limitation here is I don't know what a brat burger is...... :-[ :-\

Bratwurst Patties ?

They dang well look yummy !!!!   
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »
Are those Johnsonville Brat Burgers?  If so, Ive had them once...they are really good.  Nice job.

Question for you.  Since the new JJ is so much different than the old style...I wonder how close the cooking grate is to the coal grate?  The bowl on the new style is SOOOO shallow compared to the old its seems like you would have to be careful not to burn your food.  The spacing on my older JJ is 5" from grate to grate....wondering what yours is?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
Are those Johnsonville Brat Burgers?  If so, Ive had them once...they are really good.  Nice job.

Question for you.  Since the new JJ is so much different than the old style...I wonder how close the cooking grate is to the coal grate?  The bowl on the new style is SOOOO shallow compared to the old its seems like you would have to be careful not to burn your food.  The spacing on my older JJ is 5" from grate to grate....wondering what yours is?
Yep they are Johnsonville Bratwurst patties, as for distance i don't know maybe that if not a little less, sorry.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »
Those sound like a winner! I bet the new SJP weighs less, which is a good thing. The old ones were really heavy.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 06:41:22 PM »

"A man has got to know his limitations"

Magum Force!!!  :D

I too need to try these Johnsonville burgers. They look tasty!

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:39:30 AM »
Oh man, here we have a local meat shop that makes their own bacon. They then grind the slabs up and make patties out of it. Yep ground bacon patties. They call them bacon sizzlers. Holy crap they are freaking awesome!!
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:34:47 AM »
That looks great dude!  The JJ seems like the perfect beach/tailgate grill.  I need to get one. 

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:35:28 PM »
Alright...who other than Ron owns this grill?  I'd like to know the distance between the charcoal and cooking grate.  Thanks
Kettle collector AND cooker!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »
Jeff-I dont own a new SJP but have read that the distance is 1.5" less than the old style SJP.   Im wondering if the release of the new style will increase demand (and therefore price) or decrease demand of the old style SJP.  I like the old style but wouldnt use it for a high heat sear without a mod....a nod to the new design I guess.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:06:00 PM by G »

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
I saw one assembled at a Ace hardware this weekend, the charcoal grate was 3 3/4 ths of a inch apart.