Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: how far  (Read 5523 times)

hawkendog

• Smokey Joe
how far
« on: May 21, 2015, 02:23:52 PM »
Whats a good distance for a water pan from the charcoal. Making a jumbo joe smoker
Thanks

Rsmims

• Smokey Joe
Re: how far
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 03:42:23 PM »
Jumbo Joe Smoker !??
What are you using for the center section ?
I'd like to make one myself but can't find anything that fits as a center section.
I don't see colors, I just see kettles....And I want them all !!!
I like Pig Butts and I cannot lie.
I've seen the wild horses,   I've heard the bullroarers.

hawkendog

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
I'm using 10'x20" alum flashing because I had it. You can use a alum IMUSA 32 qt steamer or better yet a SS pot. The flashing is a little flimisy but will work if I keep a grilling grate in it. There is a lot of info on the net. I got all my info there.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 04:08:54 PM »
Sorry, I can't answer your original question with any real certainty.

Are you using a newer Jumbo Joe, or an older Outrider / SJ Platinum?  I am curious about making one myself.

I wonder if using a 30 gallon drum would work with some cutting to the drum for the mid-section?
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

hawkendog

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 04:49:59 PM »
I have heard that a 30 gal drum would work. I think 17 1/2 " is the size.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »
A 32 QT steamer pot is what's used for Smokey Joes and Smokey Joe Golds. Those are 14.5" grills, not the 18.5" diameter of the Jumbo Joe.

For there to be a 32 QT pot that fits an 18.5" kettle, it would be pretty darn short and not have room for 2 grates + water pan. Or am I misunderstanding here?

Whats a good distance for a water pan from the charcoal.

In WSMs the pan sits right under the lower cooking grate, right above the access door, or almost halfway up the middle section.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
I think a 72 qt. steamer pot will fit a Jumbo....I looked for a thread I saw at Bretheren & here & can't find it, but it's, I think, that size....a search for sizes shows an 80 qt. being too large a diameter....

If you can swing it, get a good 6"~7" up above the coals might be enough....very close & you'll be refilling every 20 minutes.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

hawkendog

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »
A 32 QT steamer pot is what's used for Smokey Joes and Smokey Joe Golds. Those are 14.5" grills, not the 18.5" diameter of the Jumbo Joe.

For there to be a 32 QT pot that fits an 18.5" kettle, it would be pretty darn short and not have room for 2 grates + water pan. Or am I misunderstanding here?

Yup... Product Dimensions:  153 x 15 x 13.5 inches ; 7 pounds Small to me also

In WSMs the pan sits right under the lower cooking grate, right above the access door, or almost halfway up the middle section.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173767

Here is a thread from the Brethren.  They call the JJ smoker conversion a "Jimmy" over there...

And here is another:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204907
[emoji6]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 05:50:12 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 06:03:30 PM »
Thanks, JC.....that 2nd one was the one I remember.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

hawkendog

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 03:55:53 AM »
The best I have seen on this build is from T9GEAR on YouTube. Wish I new what pot he used in the vid. Looks like it fit just right and its huge. https://youtu.be/2K-MDqi5elY

hawkendog

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 05:40:06 AM »

Yup... Product Dimensions:  153 x 15 x 13.5 inches ; 7 pounds Small to me also

OK under the lower cooking grate. How far is this from the charcoal. I will need to adjust grate position after the drip pan is the correct height. this is a 1" deep pan. Not a water pan
Thanks

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 08:11:04 AM »
@Winz has the answer. He has his build posted somewhere here.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

hawkendog

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 02:23:18 AM »
Thanks all for the replies and good info.
Any thoughts on using a pizza pan as a drip pan/heat deflector? I have a pan that is just about the size of the tube ( tube is 17 1/2 dia. and 20 tall), pan is 17. This would set about 4" from the charcoal. Do you think it would be to big and restrict the air flow?? Do I even need to restrict the heat? Could go with just a grate and set a smaller drip pan on that????