Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newb chimney question..  (Read 5557 times)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Newb chimney question..
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 11:46:52 AM »
I ran out of cubes and was looking for a substitute. I had rubbing alcohol and cotton balls on hand. Placed the cotton on top of a piece of lump and soaked em. Worked great..no odd taste or funky smells.

Been using this for a while. Haven't seen the need to buy starter cubes.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »
Weber Cubes - Brown paper bag pieces with a touch of oil - paper towel with a touch of oil

@Troy can you make 24+ for less than $3? If so start talking...I'll listen
Keep it simple stupid

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 03:58:30 PM »
Way back wwhen, before I had "real" chimney and used a modded 3 pound coffee can, I would fill a baby food jar with kerosene and put in one briquet to soak.  When I wanted charcoal I would put the soaked briq below the grid in the "chimney" - by the time the coals in the an were lit, all the kerosene and petro smell had burnt off.

now I use weber cubes or a MAPP torch 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »
I usually use the gas assist on my performer but used to use newspaper or the charcoal bag. I didn't like the ash that floated around when using newspaper. Lately I have been using 3-4 briquettes of Matchlight on the bottom of chimney. I got a couple small bags of it free with craigslist kettle acquisitions and am trying to use it up. I still use the gas assist for a very short time. I have been thinking I should try to see if the 3-4 briquettes would light stat lit  with just a match or lighter.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 06:40:34 PM »
I ran out of cubes and was looking for a substitute. I had rubbing alcohol and cotton balls on hand. Placed the cotton on top of a piece of lump and soaked em. Worked great..no odd taste or funky smells.

Been using this for a while. Haven't seen the need to buy starter cubes.

198 Proof.....no waiting....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »
I try match-light coals in my chimney.

Melted the cheap base rivets...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 02:22:33 PM »
I try match-light coals in my chimney.

Melted the cheap base rivets...

Metal Mike

I only use 3 briquettes to start and sustain the fire. The rest of the chimney is Royal Oak, Stubbs, or Kingsford briquettes, or lump charcoal, depending on what I have and what I am cooking. As I said, it was free and using it as starter "cubes" is my way of getting rid of it.

CCP Performer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 07:34:23 PM »
I use the performer gas assist now that it's fully functional. When it wasn't or when I was using the SJ, I would use a simple propane torch, the kind that attaches to a disposable 1lb tank. I'd burn the bottom coals for about 30-45 seconds then hit 2 sides opposite each other through one of the vent holes about 30 seconds each. It works pretty well to get them going enough and that torch finds many other uses around the house.  I should add that I have a chest high concrete paver patio light tower to sit the chimney on which made it easier since I didn't have to hold it in the air to light it, I could just let part of the chimney overhang the paver brick. After those couple minutes I would just place on the charcoal grate and it was ready in about 10 minutes.

Bob R

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »
I love the Weber Cubes. I have never used more than one. I place 1 Cube in a Tuna Fish can, and light it with a match. Set the Chimney over it, and off it goes.
I store my cubes in a plastic storage box abovt the size of a tennis shoe box, with a box of matchs.
The price is cheap, between $3.29 and $4.99 depending on where you buy them, for a 24 pack.

Bob

Jacmac422

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 05:40:30 PM »
I really love the weber fire starters.  Has anyone tried the Stok chimney?  It has a battery powered fan to stoke the coals.
2015 original kettle premium copper
2015 original kettle black
197? pat-pending red

hoss8640

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 06:13:50 PM »
I'm gonna have to find some of the cubes and try those. I keep using newspaper but everyone is raving about the cubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk