Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Victoria Day Holiday Wings  (Read 1423 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Victoria Day Holiday Wings
« on: May 18, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »
It is a national holiday in Canada today and I had pretty good weather. Got some whole wings yesterday and this morning put them in a brine. I used 4 times this portion and let it sit for 8 hours in the fridge:

1 cup water
2 tbsp molasses
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp large garlic chunks

I don't drain my wings. Just put them on a rack and dust each side with some seasoning...in this case some Montreal Poultry Spice and some stuff supplied by MacEggs.

I used the 18's as charcoal stations and the 22's to first high heat smoke the wings then grill them:

Okay. I am a little light on pictures. When the wings got close I push my firebricks back and compressed the aluminum foil under the wings to allow me to spread out the charcoal. That way when I went to grill the wings it wasn't scorching hot. I also shut the bottom vents right down. Worked like a charm:

Took some to the neighbour and AcrossFromHoss. The bones popped right out of the flats...juicy meat and the smoke flavour integrated well with the molasses and spice dusting.

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Victoria Day Holiday Wings
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 07:01:04 PM »
Looking good Mr Hoss!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 03:56:24 AM »

...and the 22's to first high heat smoke the wings then grill them ...

Trying to grok a good way to do wings. So, smoke at like 275 for a while and then grill for like 400 for a while to finish?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 05:11:17 AM »
So, smoke at like 275 for a while and then grill for like 400 for a while to finish?

Actually I was high heat smoking....real high....like about 350-400 grate temp. I measure at the vent at it was 400-450f on each Kettle. I figure I render the fat better this way. Time over the coals at the end is really not that long....3-6 minutes depending on how well I have rendered the fat at the start.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:34:05 AM »
The brine sounds great. I need to cook whole wings more often. I usually split them but if they are cooked right they fall apart anyway and save the upfront work.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »
Great looking wings, Hoss!  I gotta start doing more of the whole wings instead of the cut-up stuff.

Glad to see you enjoyed the holiday.  All I did was some store-bought frozen burgers … Cooked over charcoal, so they were not that bad.  ;D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »
Wings look great!
And I love that copper kettle, I like to keep my wings whole too, I don't even cut off the little wing on the end, just makes it easier
Also, it was nice of you to share with AFH!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 05:01:50 PM »
I'll have to give your brine a shot. Looks great!