Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First try at the Buckie method  (Read 6405 times)

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
First try at the Buckie method
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
I have learned about the "Buckie" method on this site.  I know Hogsy does it too.  I think the technical name is the snake method or something like that, but the first time I had ever heard of it or seen it was on some of Buckie's posts.  I wanted to try it so I did a 4 lb pork loin as a first try.  1.8 kg to my brothers down under. 
It turned out great and the spices on the outside made it one of my favorite parts.  I think I did start too hot and went a little too long due to the temp. being too hot to start with.  I really like this method.  I had to add a lot of wood as I like the smokey flavor.  It was apple wood.
For the coals I used 4 rows of neatly stacked charcoal. 1 row of KB, 1 row of Stubb's, 1 row of Royal Oak, and 1 row of the Trader Joe's.  I may have had too much charcoal also.  I just was not sure it would work.  It did.  My son told me it would not work and when we were done I asked him and he said he's a believer now.  We will definitely try this method again.  Maybe some ribs next time.

The set up:

Tuesdays cook by FinkFarm, on Flickr

Lit coals added:

Loin on:

About halfway through:

Ready to take off:

Pork loin by FinkFarm, on Flickr

Finished product:

Plated:

I need to work on my plating technique.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Duke

• The Duke
Re: First try at the Buckie method
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
Looks like fine cuisine to me! Now, please pass me a plate! :D

Sonny Roach

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
Plate looks amazing, just needs double the beans. Very nice job.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:27:29 PM »

Fink Farm !!!

You did great !!!!

Yeah, maybe a little heavy on the coals to start, but loin probably does better at a bit higher heat / faster cook anyways.....

That plate up's just peachy....wouldn't change a thing, except MORE !!!!

Never seen anybody use 4 different types of charcoal before, that's novel.... 8)

Good deal spinning the grate, keep it from getting right over the coals is usually best for any cut....

Nice crust & smoke ring on that, too !!!!

just play with it & it'll get so you know how much & how to set your vents, coals, etc........

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »
Looks great from where I sit! Excellent work!  :D I love that we're all learning and benefiting from each other's techniques.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:01:02 PM »
Looks great from where I sit! Excellent work!  :D I love that we're all learning and benefiting from each other's techniques.

+1 to that......
I'm looking thru the fish thread & getting some various thoughts just now !!

Wife doesn't like fish too much, so I'll have to do up some shrimps along with, she'll go for those !!!

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 06:27:53 AM »
Hey buckie, how much charcoal should I use to get it started?
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 07:14:49 AM »

That's a good question !

Depends a lot on what you're cooking, like your P/ loin goes well at a little higher heat...

This pile I used on the ribs the other day ran @ 300 for about 45 minutes, that's with the unlit stuff just barely starting....

I could kind of see how you had the lit load piled on ( harder to tell in a photo after the grate is on )
& it seemed like you're fixing up for a good size indirect grilling....

That's sort of how I arrived at doing this, only I was trying to do ever longer & lower heat types of cooks, with setups right about like you had
Then trying less coals & less coals, each time to get DOWN to lower tempratures....
Problem was I would shoot too low sometimes & then be playin' catch-up adding coals

But all that was good practice & now I'll sort of know ( at least more closely ) "How Much"

This is a set for ribs, small row on each side, burning opposite directions to even out the heat

Those two little piles produce approx. 250, at the grate & then will hold fairly close to that temp as they burn along the row......turning the grate to keep the meat from direct grilling......

This one for pork shoulder is only about 8~10 coals at the start, as it's going to run 235~240

this gets to be sort of a long answer, but I've found that those 8~10 coals produce 235~240

A few more~250

A few more~260

In I looking back at your initial setup, as a guess only, If you closed the bottom vents to say 2/3 OPEN, top vent all open

And then layed in 15~18 coals, you'd be at 280~300 deg. after a 15~20 minute warmup....

Then it would probably stay reasonbly close to that thru the cook, as you've got a decent size coal pack set to burn.......

In using this modified "Minion Method" it will almost always be less than one thinks, to get the right temp....

One thing I've suggested to folks before is do a test burn or two...

You can put a pan of cold water in to simulate the heat the meat will absorb.....

charcoal & wood is (usually) less expensive than food !!

PS: Other Questions, ask away !!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:16:30 AM by 1buckie »

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:34:13 AM »
For the ribs, they go on for how long with that set up you had?  I want to do some ribs, but am NOT a fan of putting them in foil.  I want to put them on and cook them low and slow.  I can cook my country style ribs and they turn out just fine without any foil, but maybe because they are country style. as seen here ---> http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/supper-today/msg9419/#msg9419
So I guess the question is if I was going to do some ribs (not country style, but baby backs or spare), and use the method you show here with the 2 "snakes", or even 1 "snake" how long would you go and can it be done without putting them in foil. 
BTW: what the heck is the name for the piles of coals? Snakes, Piles? What would the "technical" term be? 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 08:42:10 AM »

That 1st pic came from this cook:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/one-rib-method/

Ran a little hot at the start, if I had it to do over, would have gone 75% of that lit....

Total time was just under 4 hours & I think they could have benefitted from slightly longer & lower

A good target for my liking, would be: 4-3/4 @ 260 deg. for a plump set of cut down spares like that.....

Various names I've heard are: snake, fuse & ring of fire....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:53:04 AM by 1buckie »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 02:29:42 PM »
Thanks for the info Buckie, will try this in the future.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 05:00:42 PM »
Buckie, I've been following your posts on the snake method for awhile, and the detailed information you added to this thread is really helpful.  Thanks so much.
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »

You bet, guys.... :)

If it helps expand the way somebody gets to use their Weber, I'm all for it.....

Just keep in mind that outside conditions, moisture content of meat, type of coals, how MUCH you lift the lid & other stuff will vary......

A method is a method & YOU are part of the equation..... 8)

Something I don't do near enough, but is a REAL GOOD idea, is to log the conditions for each cook....
That way, you can refer back to what worked well & what was a foul ball & have that to go by......

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 06:46:30 PM »
I've got to try this method!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 11:09:31 PM »
Just spend a little time setting up & you'll be glad you did when it's burning......

I think it works best for very long, slow cooks, but as Fink showed, you can load it up & go somewhat faster......

Some folks have expressed concern about burning against the side of the bowl, but if it's lower heat, don't think there's much concern....
I've been using some of the same kettles for several years & the chips that were on them originally haven't changed at all..... :D