Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken Drummies  (Read 5277 times)

Grizz

• WKC Brave
Re: Chicken Drummies
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 09:41:51 AM »
Mossy, since that's a mini on a smokey joe, I'm guessing I'd want to go with a medium for a 22.5 performer?

navin

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 10:21:19 AM »

This is the mini Vortex in the Jumbo Joe. My wife (Tanya) and I (Marty) are Owens BBQ.
The wings take an hour following the recipe, directions and sample of our Buffalo Hot Wing seasoning we included with your mini Vortex order!

Oh HAHA, awesome. Your wife Tanya was really helpful when I bought my Mini Vortex, glad to have grabbed the last one. :)

I might have to grab some wings since it gets here tomorrow..!

Any thoughts on using the grate that comes with the Jumbo Joe (I replaced with Hinged grate) and using it as a platform for additional wings? Like this: http://www.weberjumbojoe.com/hinged-grate-for-the-jumbo-joe/

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 05:27:18 PM »
Mossy, since that's a mini on a smokey joe, I'm guessing I'd want to go with a medium for a 22.5 performer?

This cook was done with a mini Vortex on a Jumbo Joe, not a Smokey Joe.

Both the small and the medium Vortex will work great in the 22.5” Weber kettle….that is the one kettle size that both units are really great in. Really it depends on what cooking style/s you are wanting to use the most.
Indirect/Direct cooking – for instance like chicken wings for example the small Vortex would give you more grill space and you can fit more food.
Low & Slow – for instance cooking a pork butt a medium Vortex would give you a larger indirect space for bigger butts. And the small Vortex would get you longer time because you have more room for charcoal.
Direct High Heat – for searing steaks the medium Vortex will give you more searing room.
Infrared Heat – for cooking a beer can chicken the medium Vortex will give you room for a larger bird, even a small turkey (I put a 8lb turkey in the medium).

Any thoughts on using the grate that comes with the Jumbo Joe (I replaced with Hinged grate) and using it as a platform for additional wings? Like this: http://www.weberjumbojoe.com/hinged-grate-for-the-jumbo-joe/

I have not used a hinged grate on a Jumbo Joe yet so really have no experience, this cook was done with the standard grate that comes with the Jumbo Joe.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 12:48:13 PM »

Just be aware of whatever the recipe or procedure calls for. If you have to flip or turn food on the "lower" grate you'll need to plan ahead for a way to do that, by removing the "top" grate and setting it aside somewhere.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »

Just be aware of whatever the recipe or procedure calls for. If you have to flip or turn food on the "lower" grate you'll need to plan ahead for a way to do that, by removing the "top" grate and setting it aside somewhere.

Good vote (read: reason) to have all kinds of spare kettles laying around....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"