Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What charcoal do you like, and why?  (Read 12478 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
Re: What charcoal do you like, and why?
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »
I use lump for everything now. The amount of ash in KBB and other briqs is a PITA and a waste of $$$.

I found a new (to me) lump recently called Pitmaster and I like it, although I haven't done a long smoke w/ it yet. I can't find any info on it- the website listed on the bag doesn't exist.

"Pitmaster," while being commonly used to describe a BBQ chef, is also plastered all over anything from Brinkmanns to Myron Mixon-branded gas grills and may have even have been trademarked by Royal Oak, according to one online reference.

It could very well be some other company squashed them, which is why there are intellectual property lawyers paid to research trade names prior to distribution. :)

Yeah, that occurred to me after googling it and getting a million hits for the grills.  :)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2015, 07:38:15 AM »

been trying that this weekend.  i like it. 

it does burn hot, has a fair bit of smoke, and smells great compared to some others. 

i'd buy more if i could find it in a store.  :D
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2015, 07:09:12 AM »
That's always the hard thing (least to me) when you find a lump you like.  What's available in stores seems to change with the seasons.   I really wish the Shoprite by me would start carrying Malis' lump again.

iamdan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »
I would have to say Stubbs is my choice soo far.  It does give off a little more smoke than KBB like others have suggested but is low on ash and easy to reignite for a 2nd use once snuffed out and the smoke flavor is similar to lump.  I am working thru a double pack of Kingsford Comp right now and while it burns clean, it leaves soo much light ash behind that blows everywhere when you open the lid on your kettle.  I have been using it for low and slow fuse method cooks and have been able to control temps well but get ash clogging my vents after about 4 to 5 hours. 

I have noticed that with Stubbs if you are using a smokenator or other baffle system you have to be careful when adding new coals making sure you add them "next" to burning coals and not on top of hot coals as you will get re-ignition CO2 if there is not enough heat present to burn it off.  I try to shove all my lit coals to the middle of my smokenator right before adding fresh coals and then add just one layer to the sides so they fuse light slowly vs. just dumping them on top on the hot coals.  Goes along with what others say about Stubbs taking a little longer to light than Kingsford, same applies during fuse, minion or smokenator cooks but as long as you have heat and hot coals either on top or to the side you should be fine.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2015, 03:56:33 PM »
Started lump charcoal ..then went kblue after weber recommended not to use lump. Kblue works and dirt cheap..but got some free all natural lump and liked the way it burned.

So just went out and bought a dozen bags of stubbs natural briquettes and half dozen of kcomp..havenyet to use either
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »
Plan is to use kblue for wsms and stubbs and kcomp for kettles.

Cheapo/frugal move.

Gonna use kblue at bottom of chimney layer...figure the bottom burns the most during chimney lighting..so use cheap kblue to help start chimney...waste less expensive coal during lighting process
Grills

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
I use Kingsford because it was just on sale and I now have 26 twin packs of it in my basement.

If money was no object, I would use Lump exclusively.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2015, 04:20:39 PM »
Agreed..kblue is cheap...

But..if stubbs lasts longer...and is more reuseable for 2nd lighting...it may be closer to kblue pricing if comparing fuel burn life.

Theres a few youtubes videos comparing stubbs to kcomp..stubbs staying lit longer. 
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »
Ill be lighting stubbs this weekend and may try some benchmark lighting/fuel life...i got atubbs for about $7.30 for 15lb bag this weekend.
Grills

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2015, 04:26:11 PM »
I generally use lump most of the time.  I like to buy a lot when it's on sale. 
Not really brand specific, but I have found that RO lump is pretty damn good.
I re-use as much as I can, too.

I will buy briquettes when they are on sale.  We don't get the sweet sales up here in Canada as you do in the US.
I'm too far from the border to make any special trip and make it worthwhile.

This particular briquet is my go-to for a snake or fuse.  I have gotten 11+ hours using it.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »
Plan is to use kblue for wsms and stubbs and kcomp for kettles.

Cheapo/frugal move.

Gonna use kblue at bottom of chimney layer...figure the bottom burns the most during chimney lighting..so use cheap kblue to help start chimney...waste less expensive coal during lighting process

^^^^^ This......for years......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »
@1buckie

Lol when you burn multiple wsms biweekly and multiple kettles weekly..every penny coal counts...
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2015, 05:12:05 PM »
Footnote..given i liked the lump i got for free so itsngetting me to open my wallet for more exp charcoal..but wanting the consistency of briquettes..stubbs seemednthe way to go.

Regular lump charcoal seems to offer 20% waste with the tiny bits that fall through andnthe 2nd smallest that burn up quickly...so i factor in 25% waste to the per lb cost of lump
Grills

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »

@toolhead

I combine Stubb's & those tiny lump chips on top so they don't fall thru & that seems to be a good combination....

I suppose you could sprinkle thru layers of coals setting up a WSM & have the majority of it stay?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2015, 05:27:10 PM »
Yup..thats a way tobise small bits....im gona test stunbs by itselfnand seenperformance and ash diff

If it offer more fuel life..fuel  life pricing may equate to kblue...
Ill report back if i have the same results of the blogger below

http://grillofmydreams.blogspot.com/2012/04/stubbs-charcoal-review.html?m=1
Grills