Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning that performer cooking table  (Read 3337 times)

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
Cleaning that performer cooking table
« on: May 07, 2015, 02:37:21 PM »
I wanted to give a suggestion for anyone looking to clean their old style performer table. I had some grease that had stained it last summer and tried a few different cleaners including barkeepers friend. Today I was cleaning up and had just gotten some Spray Nine so decided to try it out. Oh my, it looks brand spankin' new!
Crate n Barrel Grass Green - Target Copper - Blue OTG - 14 & 18 WSM

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cleaning that performer cooking table
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »
I have always had really good luck with Mr Clean Magic Eraser on mine. I will have to look to see if I can find the Spray Nine..not heard of it before. Got a picture of the bottle?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »
Thanks @addicted-to-smoke . It's good stuff. @indy82z I believe you with the magic erasers. Those things are amazing.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »
Hope this isn't off-topic but I need to clean some grease off of my deck ... it's not wood, it's composite with a "plasticized" skin. Home Depot Veranda. Like some of the nicer Trex, not solid like AZEK.

So unlike regular cheapo composite boards they are slick, kinda like a 2005-2014 Performer's (thermoset) table.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »
I know what you mean. I saw those boards last summer at the Depot. They look sweet never seen a full deck in person though. Can you power wash from further away? We have some trex-ish decking and the previous owner didn't do a damn thing to keep it clean. So its got mold spots all over and is a pain to get clean.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
I know what you mean. I saw those boards last summer at the Depot. They look sweet never seen a full deck in person though. Can you power wash from further away? We have some trex-ish decking and the previous owner didn't do a damn thing to keep it clean. So its got mold spots all over and is a pain to get clean.

So, what are you saying here?

that you really need a 7 foot diameter kettle so you can have the world's largest Perfomer?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »
My "Veranda" brand deck I put down is as clean as the day(s) I put it down 2+ years ago. No mold. But I've dripped some grease from tongs hanging off the grill, and the other day when frying got grease splatter all over ...

I have a round Original Grill Mat under the 18er and a rectangle Original Grill Mat under the Performer, but realistically a Performer needs THREE of those things under it. These mats are about the only ones "OK" to use with charcoal grills.

My only real complaint is running the kettles in various spots on the deck with no protection. I've effectively ruined a few boards from hot char droppings ... plastic melts ... wouldn't have had that issue if I went with cheap wood deck boards.

Don't get me started.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 07:07:35 AM »
I have mentioned this a few times on the forum in the past, and will continue to say so …. Spray Nine is an amazing cleaner and excellent de-greaser.

I will use 0000 steel wool and the Spray Nine to clean the exterior of my kettles. 

Do not allow it to dry.  Have the hose handy to rinse, and the kettle will sparkle in minutes.   8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »
Simple Green is a pretty fantastic cleaner for grease. The first time I fried a turkey I did it in our rental house in college - it turned out great with no hiccups, but I didn't get enough cardboard and newspaper down to protect the cement and oil stains were everywhere. Simple Green and a few minutes with a bristle brush later, it was completely gone. Good thing too, the college landlords loved keeping kids' security deposits.