Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rootbeer Colored Stainless Performer?  (Read 5792 times)

utah95

• Happy Cooker
Re: Rootbeer Colored Stainless Performer?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 04:01:34 PM »
The owner seems to be sticking to $175. If it is in near mint condition, I may pay $100 for a rare color that is missing a tank, but my slightly beat up green that I bought for $50 cooks fine for now. I may try to find a newer performer and swap out to a metal table. I think I would prefer not having to open the top to access the charcoal box and the small fuel tanks.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »
Ultimately the grill is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. As you eluded to, grills can be found regularly on craigslist from $25 and up. With that being said, certain grills are fetching stupid amounts of money also. The plum is one of the more rare colors (Heck I would like to have one) and definitely harder to come across than green, but what its worth is really up to you. Sounds like you already have a Performer so you are in a good place with not "needing" it. Figure out what its worth, make an offer and if the seller accepts, enjoy your new grill. Sell you green one and that can also help offset the cost.

This is sound advice. The issue with the older performers is that there are tangible things that will likely need to get replaced. Right off the bat, a new regulator is ~$60, the 7409 ash sweeps are hard to find, 5lb gas tank is $50-60 and other odds and ends like grates and hardware can really add up.

The SS performer is my favorite Weber and I have dumped alot of money into mine because it's the grill for me. Here's my rebuild log in case you find it useful: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/working-on-ss-performers-gummi-bear-build-log-pic-heavy/ the images are dead at the moment but one day I will update them.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 05:49:19 PM »
... I may try to find a newer performer and swap out to a metal table. I think I would prefer not having to open the top to access the charcoal box and the small fuel tanks.

The newer (non-SS) Performers use an even smaller tank, a 1lb hanging right down from the regulator. The 5lb tanks the SS used are only painful to buy once, and then you got years of service from them. Even if you decide to go with a 20lb, it's easier to place on a SS' cart.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

utah95

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »
Is 7409 the part number for a stainless performer ash sweep? Does anyone know a source? Are they available form Weber? Its time to at least fix that issue on my green performer!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 08:46:50 PM »
No. That is the old style ash sweep. The H style non-SS is 7444, I think. I'll need to look up the stainless one.

I think it is 90720 for the SS Ash Sweep, 22".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:51:24 PM by ClubChapin »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 10:53:33 PM »
No. That is the old style ash sweep. The H style non-SS is 7444, I think. I'll need to look up the stainless one.

I think it is 90720 for the SS Ash Sweep, 22".

7409 is the correct ash sweep for a SS performer.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 03:26:58 AM »
@utah95 the 7409 was used on any 22.5" kettle with a One Touch sweeper, so '90s MasterTouch and regular One Touch kettles in the '80s included.

Around 2004 the 7444 "H" style (so-called because one part of it looks like an H ...) was introduced and is a direct replacement for machines without an ash bucket.

The older ash bucket holder (it's that collar or ring) depended upon the 7409 mechanism; it is suspended by it and a "hangar bar". But if you ditch the hangar bar the ash bucket holder can instead be suspended by the leg sockets and car radiator hose clamps or baling wire or maybe even screws.

pbe gummi bear did a comprehensive write up about the parts, in the context of a conversion from OTS to OTG here: http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/03/converting-a-weber-ots-to-otg/

For 2015 the ash can holder and bucket were redesigned. It's compatible with any 22.5" One Touch kettle that has 7444 sweepers. I use this setup, with 7444, on my '92 Performer and it works great.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 04:25:45 AM »
7409 is the correct ash sweep for a SS performer.

I've got a SS performer with H style as the original ash sweep. I've also got 2 with 7409.

I thought Utah was asking for the part number for the SS Ash Sweep, which I believe is correct for Performers with H style ash sweeps. 90720 is the part number for the SS version of the 7444.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:28:22 AM by ClubChapin »

utah95

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 05:19:04 AM »
I do have the 7409 style.It sounds like they are too hard to find. If I'm understanding correctly, the the most affordable method is to remove the bar and somehow attach the old collar to to the legs. The other option is to replace the collar and ash holder with 2015 parts. Either way, I change to the 7444 replacement sweeps. Is that correct? Thank you for your assistance.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 05:28:49 AM »
To use the existing ash ring, you need a 7409 sweep or modifications to the ash ring that would have it screw into the legs or something similiar. If you swap the sweep for a newer one, you would also need the newer ash ring.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 05:30:20 AM »
I do have the 7409 style.It sounds like they are too hard to find. If I'm understanding correctly, the the most affordable method is to remove the bar and somehow attach the old collar to to the legs. The other option is to replace the collar and ash holder with 2015 parts. Either way, I change to the 7444 replacement sweeps. Is that correct? Thank you for your assistance.

You are correct. You can find the 7409 style, but it will take some work. I would recommend you post in the classifieds asking if anyone would be willing to sell you one.

utah95

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 03:34:59 PM »
Thank you  to everyone for the help.