Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rootbeer Colored Stainless Performer?  (Read 5791 times)

utah95

• Happy Cooker
Rootbeer Colored Stainless Performer?
« on: May 03, 2015, 07:00:46 PM »
I called on a local add for a stainless performer that looked plum colored. The owner contacted me and said it was a rootbeer color. I have not seen one that color and wondered if it was rare. I thought I would mention it here in case someone had an interest in the color. It looks like it may be in decent shape but is missing the tank and the owner is asking too much, but many come down to a reasonable price. Any thoughts?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rootbeer Colored Stainless Performer?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:04:51 PM »
Without a good picture or two it's hard to speculate, but neither brown nor plum Performers sound quite right. Maybe plum, I don't know. It was an available color in other kettles around 2000 or so.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:05:09 PM »
And welcome. Is this Performer in Utah?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:29:52 PM »
i'm pretty sure there are some plum performers out there.

i've never seen purplish red root beer before though.

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:32:28 PM »
I would swear I just saw a picture of a plum SS performer on CL somewhere here in the Midwest. Minneapolis maybe.   They are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 08:14:55 PM »
Could be a burgundy one
Kettle collector AND cooker!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »
Plum performers exist. Root beer colored could be brick red or plum.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 08:24:36 PM »
what the heck kind of root beer are you drinking @pbe gummi bear ?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 08:33:08 PM »
light urple.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 11:06:27 PM »
@chefn58 this is the one you're talking about        http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/hsh/5006311661.html

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

utah95

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »

The performer is in Utah. The color in pictures is very close to the link in Minneapolis. Here is a picture http://img.ksl.com/mx/mplace-classifieds.ksl.com/1694641-1429420713-734726.jpg?filter=ksl/gallery1. Is that a plum stainless performer? Assuming it is in great condition, what is the right price to pay with a missing tank? I assumed $75-$100 would be fair since I see complete performers for less than $100 (even as little as $25-$50), several times a year. However, not in Plum. I have a green stainless performer, but it is not in great shape and needs new sweepers/dampers and the lid is a little rough. It seems like I may be better off upgrading to a performer that is in better shape. Of course, my wife and children think I can survive with my green performer, medium BGE and the 2 other Weber kettles.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 01:52:44 AM »
Ultimately the grill is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. As you eluded to, grills can be found regularly on craigslist from $25 and up. With that being said, certain grills are fetching stupid amounts of money also. The plum is one of the more rare colors (Heck I would like to have one) and definitely harder to come across than green, but what its worth is really up to you. Sounds like you already have a Performer so you are in a good place with not "needing" it. Figure out what its worth, make an offer and if the seller accepts, enjoy your new grill. Sell you green one and that can also help offset the cost.

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 02:40:31 AM »

@chefn58 this is the one you're talking about        http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/hsh/5006311661.html
Yes. That is it. I had never seen one before that one popped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 03:30:51 AM »
Ah, so the plums do exist.

@utah95 that Craigslist grill is at least 10 years old and you could easily find yourself in a similar situation with it. That said, most parts for older Webers are either newly available or adaptable from other grills in some way. It all depends on what you want, and what you're willing to do.

For example, new sweepers are less than $20 and you can perform the fix yourself, at least potentially. Research or ask questions here before deciding.

utah95

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 08:40:39 AM »
Thank you to everyone for the information. I know I could fix some of the issues with my green, but would need a new lid and several other little issues to have it pristine. I'm feeling like I would be better off finding a nicer performer and selling mine cheap. I will wait and see how things play out and may go take a look at it since it is not far from me. However, I am not feeling the need to have the grill unless it is for what I consider a reasonable price. If someone here is more interested than me, I would be happy to help facilitate a purchase.