Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cherry Smoked Trout With Some Grilled Shrimp  (Read 2543 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Cherry Smoked Trout With Some Grilled Shrimp
« on: May 03, 2015, 05:16:20 AM »
This was the first time I've ever used cherry wood, I had to trim a few branches for my M-I-L, and thought enough to keep them for the smoking. I can't say enough about how much I liked the cherry wood! Sweet smelling smoke, mild flavor, can't wait to try it on ribs!

On to the cook. Trout filets simply seasoned with course sea salt and pepper. In the back pear and thyme infused gin with honey simple syrup and tonic. 

The '85 fade got the call tonight

Going on

After about 20 minutes in the smoke, cooked through hot and fast. Kettle probably ran in the 350ish degree range, no thermometer, but used about 3/4 of a chimney of coshell.   

Close up inside

Put some shrimp into blackening seasoning and chili powder

No picks of the shrimp cook, goes too fast, and by that time it was too dark.
All done

Trout and shrimp were dunked into a homemade lemon drill cream sauce

No plated picks, because we didn't bother with plates. The trout was some of the best smoked trout I've ever made.
Thanks for looking!

Shafzilla

• WKC Brave
Re: Cherry Smoked Trout With Some Grilled Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 06:37:07 AM »
How'd you do the shrimp?
"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing."- Ron Swanson

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:19:54 AM »
Man I gotta try that. I like everything about it, from the simple fish cook to the sauce at the end.

WNC, did you just cook the shrimp in the Pyrex dish? I can see that working just fine.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:01:19 AM »
With the shrimp I just put them down over the coals one by one. By the time I get the last ones on its time to flip the first ones. Once all flipped put the lid on for about a minute or two. Then done.

I'll skewer them sometimes too, makes flipping a lot easier, but last night I didn't feel like getting my hands all shrimpy. I figure by the time I skewer them all I could have  just laid them out on the grill, I like the way they cook this way too.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »
^^ That's why stir-frying can be easier for small foods AND there's a way you can do it without necessarily needing a lot of oil, so the effect is like grilling-but-not-having-to-turn.

I essentially did that with seasoned shrimp recently by using one of the slotted Weber veggie pans, #6434, and they were awesome. On their product page for it, Weber claims there are instances where you could "use it as a wok pan" and that's not a stretch ... so long as your "wok" doesn't need liquid added to it. Might be able to use a "shaker basket" as well?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Andrew

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 05:54:07 PM »
I'm just curious...are you sure those are trout fillets? Looks like salmon to me. And as a trout fisherman if I caught something that big I would you-know-what my pants. Either way looks delicious.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 06:05:58 PM »
That looks so good!!!

I'd like to know more about the lemon dill cream sauce.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 02:57:38 AM »
Were the fish cooked right over the coals or indirectly?  Nice lookin' meal!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »
The fish is gorgeous! Is it cutthroat?

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »
I'm just curious...are you sure those are trout fillets? Looks like salmon to me. And as a trout fisherman if I caught something that big I would you-know-what my pants. Either way looks delicious.
Hey Andrew, I've thought the same thing too, but it is clearly labeled trout at the store, and they have it there all the time labeled like that. I can't remember if it's wild or farmed raised. It's not a "fishy" as salmon though.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
That looks so good!!!

I'd like to know more about the lemon dill cream sauce.

Thanks Troy, I'll ask the wife when she gets home

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 02:05:58 PM »
Were the fish cooked right over the coals or indirectly?  Nice lookin' meal!
Grizz, the fish are indirect for about 20 mins

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 11:33:11 AM »
Stellar looking meal WNC - the fish looks perfect!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Dale Nichols

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »
I think that is Steelhead Trout it looks exactly like Salmon and is almost as long as your arm. And cheaper to. Nice cook

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 12:10:31 AM »
I agree with Dale Nichols, it looks at lot like Steelhead Trout ((Oncorhynchus mykiss).  As I recall, if it stays in the river after its smolt stage, it's called a trout.  If it migrates out to sea, it's called a SteelHead.  In either case, your cookup looks great.  Especially the G&T.
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".