Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: "BKPM"  (Read 1841 times)

Duke

• The Duke
"BKPM"
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »
"Basic Kettle Pizza Method" Here is the setup and results.

I just started experimenting with this new setup. It's been in the back of my mind for a long time and it was very successful on my first try.

What I did was pile some coals underneath. Careful, not too many otherwise the pizza will burn on the bottom before the top is cooked. You can also bank them against the back and that will light the top coals. Then I used an old top grate and added some coals in the back behind the stone. This time I used regular Blue K, but I am going to give lump a try the next time. This raises the fire closer to the lid to cook the toppings.

I used an old kettle for this high heat cook. The temps hovered around 600ish.

Pie on.

Done in under ten minutes. I turned it a couple times to keep the crust from charring too much. Opening the lid is just fine because the fire just draws more air during that time. I also left the lid cracked a little at times to really raise the temps to near 700. You probably can't tell in the pictures because of the flash, but the top fire was raging and the pizza was bubbling hot on top.

Resting

Cut up.

I actually did two pizzas. You can do multiple with this method.

As it stands I still think Brians was better because it had the leoparding on top that looks like it was made in a high dollar pizza oven. This had some burnt spots on it telling me I am on to something. I might try this in my 26'r next time because it has a little more room where I can keep the crust away from the high heat to keep it from burning. I like the tops well done, but the crust should still be eatable. Give this a try and play around with the temps.

Maybe we can master this method together. :)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:23:40 AM by Duke »

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: "BKPM"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
Looks awesome! I need to give this method a whirl!  ;)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
Pizza looks good!  Question do you put some against the back only, or some underneath also?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
Pizza looks good!  Question do you put some against the back only, or some underneath also?

Thanks Craig & Ron, I put some charcoal either banked or right underneath the stone. If it's banked it will light the top coals on it's own. Give it a shot, I think you will see it makes a big difference. Please report your results back, so we can get it dialed in. ;)

ROB_STANG2000

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:12:35 AM »
looks dam good!!!!!!!!!!
Proud owner of a Lime Green22.5, Red 22.5 silver, Black 22.5 Silver 18.5 custom , two smoky Joes witch one has been converted to a custom smoker,  a Weber Summit Silver, and a UDS.