Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Paella pan as potential drip pan / roasting pan?  (Read 5160 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Paella pan as potential drip pan / roasting pan?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 01:05:38 PM »
I got something like this http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Classic-Metal-Covered/dp/B0006SGQFY

I haven't used it a ton but I like the idea. I also got a pack of I 30 disposable cake pans for $6 at Costco, $0.20 each. I do use them multiple times until they are pretty nasty and all the drippings have turned to carbon three or four times.

Ah, so at a little over 15"x9" it should fit in the middle of a 22, with coals to either side? That's useful, you toss in your disposable and cook in it, with or without meat drip, and have a way to remove it without the disposable folding up.

Or maybe you'd use it differently.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »
I use these all the time.....packs of 30 or something for 11 bucks or thereabouts Sam's, Costco, Smart 'n' Final, restaurant supply places......closely a second in use to those bar towels as a most used implement for BBQ cooking....

When they've been used a few times, they may get crusty or holes in them....I clean & sanitize them anyway & use under a fresh pan for stability with sloshy stuff like beans of heavy drip....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 01:35:05 PM »
I got something like this http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Classic-Metal-Covered/dp/B0006SGQFY

I haven't used it a ton but I like the idea. I also got a pack of I 30 disposable cake pans for $6 at Costco, $0.20 each. I do use them multiple times until they are pretty nasty and all the drippings have turned to carbon three or four times.

Ah, so at a little over 15"x9" it should fit in the middle of a 22, with coals to either side? That's useful, you toss in your disposable and cook in it, with or without meat drip, and have a way to remove it without the disposable folding up.

Or maybe you'd use it differently.

I actually hadn't thought about using the disposable inside of the reusable one, that's a really good idea. I actually bought the reusable pan and forgot about it, then picked up the disposable ones. The thought was to replace disposable pans with the reusable one - it's about the same size, can serve as a drip pan between coals or even on one side of a direct/indirect set up, hold food, or really anything else. It's dishwasher safe. I'll probably beat the crap out of it until I only want to use it as a drip pan and see where it goes from there.

I'm kind of anal about greasy kettles. A little here or there is fine, but I prefer to set up a pan or foil to catch anything that is going to drip a lot. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and I've had greasy bottoms catch on fire - no fun to find your kettle at 600 degrees from fiery gunk.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 03:43:09 PM »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!