Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: igniter not working  (Read 6626 times)

joebeaster

• Happy Cooker
igniter not working
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »
I have a 2004 performer deluxe.  Been a good grill, but after 11 years of service, it was time to change the igniter.  I ordered the part from Weber and installed the igniter.  Unfortunately, it did not work.  The gas pipe is working since I have been lighting the grill with a fireplace lighter.  I think the pipe supplying the gas might be bad since the pressure seems to be less than before.  There is gas in the tank, so I know it is not a supply issue.  I have a second igniter and I tried that one too.  I am seeking your advice.  Any suggestions?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: igniter not working
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 12:17:10 PM »
I don't have one of these & am not sure if there's a second shutoff besides the tank?

If so, shut off that 2nd one, wait a few, open the tank & allow for a short build-up time to the second valve.....it needs pressure or the safety bladder in the tank gets 'fooled' into thinking there's a leak in the lines & will drop pressure...

If that's not the case, then someone who has one will be along shortly & know what to do............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »
I took off the piece that's fits into the tube and ran a wire thru it and blew it out///  blow out the lines too and some times that will work

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »
I took off the piece that's fits into the tube and ran a wire thru it and blew it out///  blow out the lines too and some times that will work

Mine just quit working yesterday and this is exactly what I was going to try...

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »
that helped with my gas flow

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 12:50:50 PM »
if you can light it with a fireplace lighter or match or whatever, and its the FULL flame (not some tiny little worthless flame), it's NOT the regulator.
If its a little flame, do what Buckie said.

Did you replace the button portion of the igniter or the small white porcelain portion that screws into the tube?
The button igniters rarely go bad, they're just a pain in the butt sometimes.

The part that screws into the tube can be cleaned. Take it apart and gently clean it with some steel wool. Use a pipe cleaner to clean the inside of the gas tube as well. If its too dirty, rusty, or corroded, it won't spark.
I believe the screw that holds it down will need to be cleaned as well. (going by memory, as I no longer have an SS performer)

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
I recall someone was posting some pics of a performer igniter. Someone pointed out something about a piece was backwards. Is it possible that the igniter was bad and the new one was installed wrong? I would download the install manual and double check your work. Also verify that the igniter is producing a spark to begin with.I would do this after you clean it out like what was mentioned above.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 05:37:22 PM »
Make sure all the surfaces on the igniter, ground, and screw are good and clean. Also the area on the tube where it all mounts.  Use a wire brush or an emery board.

You may not wanna try this but electricity don't really bother me.  I was always the idiot who grabbed the coil wire to test for spark in auto shop. Grab both the ground loop and electrode and hit the button. If it gets you really good then suspect the connections to the tube have a high resistance...assuming the ^^^ above tests are good.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 09:01:23 PM »
All the above advice it is top notch, but I wanted to add to what Troy was saying about the weak flame,
Since it is springtime in most parts of the western hemisphere, make sure the venturi and the gas tube
that goes through the side of the bowl are not obstructed by a simple spider web.. Number one cause
of outdoor gas/propane cookers and stoves to start acting up in the spring..  And if you need to dig
off into the gas orifice to clear any built up funk, use a bread tie, the wire is small and soft enough to
work without trashing the gas jet.   ;)
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

joebeaster

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 08:24:43 AM »
Thank you for all your input.  The igniter was a complete assembly.  The wires can only go one way, how somebody had it backwards is confusing, and concerning ;D.  I will check the lines, I did not check the lines after replacing the igniter, and yes the flame is weak, and there are spiders around my house, so I will keep my fingers crossed.  My tanks is about empty and will need to be refueled, so I will check it when I get it filled.