Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lobster tails, twice-cooked potatoes, asparagus, naan ...........  (Read 3834 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
This here all went down at @chuck s ' place tonight. Ooh my, did it evah go down  .... do you clap when dinner's over? We sure do at his house!

tails being cut open and spread apart:

tails being brushed with a gah-lick spread; here, half of them have been done:

They cook bottom side down over direct, high heat for a few minutes, so 2 char baskets had been filled and centered. Wait! I think one tried to get away and climb the wall?

right before the flip:

and after the flip:

The gasser handled asparagus in the shaker tray and potatoes on their 2nd bake, filled with cheese and various hocus-pocus:

A few minutes later, lobster almost done, so on goes hot dogs and chicken nuggets for picky younglings:

OK so with the lobster plated, now we could dedicate some heat to the hot dogs and chicken nuggets. We spread the char baskets to the sides and the naan bread warmed indirect. "Son, you don't get nice grill marks on McNuggets!"

SCRUMPCIOUS!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Lobster tails, twice-cooked potatoes, asparagus, naan ...........
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 05:05:39 PM »
Man you guys are doing it right down there in the ATL!
Fantastic looking meal there guys, slow clap building into a roaring applause

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 05:07:24 PM »
Come throwdown time, you guys are gonna tag-team us, huh?

You two & Hoss / Across from Hoss are making this difficult !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 05:08:38 PM »
PS: Could I have a lobster McNugget hotdog naantaco....to go?

All that looks extremely good !!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 05:20:43 PM »
chuck s and his missus certainly know how to throw down! Each time I come over I think, "it can't get any better than this" and the next time, it does, and after awhile you just go away muttering to yourself ... stunned and satiated.

Ken I kept trying to get the kids to wrap theirs up in the bread but they wouldn't budge. Apparently, they have their "standards" that must not be trifled with.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 05:31:24 PM »
Fantastic cook!

How do you know when the lobster tails are done? Is it an internal temp thing or just so many min per side? I need to try that out :)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 05:42:06 PM »
"Ken I kept trying to get the kids to wrap theirs up in the bread but they wouldn't budge. Apparently, they have their "standards" that must not be trifled with."

some youngsters have strong preferences.....they usually grow up to be multi--billionares, so yeah....let 'em be...

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 07:56:44 PM »
Well aren't you boys fancy! The whole meal looks great!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 02:58:14 AM »
Fantastic cook!

How do you know when the lobster tails are done? Is it an internal temp thing or just so many min per side? I need to try that out :)

We timed each side, but there was no denying how great it looked and smelled on the grill. We referenced 3 recipes and they were similar: something like 3-4 minutes on the first side, then 6-7 minutes on the shell side. chuck s might remember the details. Two char baskets of K Comp in the center. Filled up with lump probably would have been too hot for this. You want direct, high heat though.

While putting them down on the grate, you have to do it fast and get the lid back on because the butter/garlic spread instantly begins to ooze out and cause a flareup. I suppose you could be faster if using fish baskets. The Weber ones with flex springs would probably be ideal for these "fat" ones.

Like shrimp, the meat has a lot of moisture in it. They basically steam cooked but unlike tossing into boiling water, don't lose their essential flavor. For the first few minutes, steam was the only thing coming out of the top vent, no smoke. And yet, they didn't dry out. At the table the shells easily separated from the meat. It was amazeballs! Amazetails?

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 04:01:17 AM »
Just as Addicted-to-smoke said - the 3 books we referenced were 2 of the Weber Grilling books by Jamie Purviance and "How to grill" by Steven Raichlen (my favorite).  Basically it is meat side down to sear the meat then invert the tails and cook meat side up "until the flesh is white and firm but not dry, about 5 to 8 minutes".  When we flipped them we hit the timer for 7 mins and when it rang we took 'em off. As you can see from pics, the spines get a heavy grill look but the meat is still white - you will see that the meat is white when you pop them out of the shell.  Just crack back the shell more, grab the meaty end and pull off the shell. 
One additional note on the potatoes.  We usually microwave them first then cut and scoop to make the twice bake filler - then to the grill.  This time my wife baked them on the gasser first vice the microwave.  I think it made a great taste different - Just sayin'....

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 04:27:52 AM »
Lobster on the Kettle is a damn fine thing. Having a Kettle Head close by is also a damn fine thing.

The little bit of charcoal/wood taste the meat picks up is sweet..........did these last summer:

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 04:53:10 AM »
Good grief you two... are you trying to start a grilling show or what?? :) I'm going to have to try the grilled nuggets the next time my 5 yr old boy requests them.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 05:23:18 AM »
Grill_Jitsu, any of that frozen, processed stuff works better on the grill. And if you've already got the machine up and running for other reasons (or even if you don't ... ) it's a no-brainer to do it that way. Frozen pizza, frozen pizza rolls all become a different thing, and better!

Hardest part about any of this in my experience is coming to grips with your ritual for cleaning ash, getting charcoal and grates ready. Set aside some time for that stuff and all of a sudden all that crap you used to cook in an oven happens outside, and for the better.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 09:04:41 AM »
I'm not a lobster person, but.... that do look good. I would think that doing them meat side down you would lose all of the garlic spread yes?

I to feel that doing potatoes on the grill is better!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »
Here's what I suspect happens, Ron. The garlic spread is kinda thick, like butter of course. In fact we had to warm it a touch just to use it. And then after it gets brushed on, it cools and globs up again. So because it's only getting the heat for a few minutes, enough of it stays on the meat to do the job.

Yes some drips down onto the charcoal, but some gets "pushed back/baked on" up into the meat from the heat. If you were to cook the spine side first ... which no recipe said to do ... the garlic spread would just get runny and then disappear for sure once it's flipped over.

And then at the table ... you dip the lobster in some more of it!