Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A Story of 2 Fowls  (Read 4043 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: A Story of 2 Fowls
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 06:34:54 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke I haven't done this but this is a great video on how to dedone a whole chicken. The guy makes it look so easy but if you take your time it seems pretty doable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dworCHCm3ts

@Grizz here's a duck I did specifically for rendering and saving the duck fat: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/kettle-duck!/

I did prick the skin with toothpicks to render the fat. I just got a duck from Costco so I can't compare it's preparation to the one these guys did.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »
@austin87 thanks for that, I missed that post last month and it's a very interesting way to cook duck. So if understand correctly, you saved the duck fat as grease to cook breakfast eggs and other stuff later?

The chicken de-bone video was kind of a blur for me. Given the price per pound for bone vs. boneless chicken (!) it seems like a very useful skill to learn for the intended application however. One of these days I gotta get a fish filet knife ... Don't know if it's apparent in our pix here but whatever the butcher did, somehow put the bird back together (with stuffing) to appear chicken-like even though ... no bones.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 08:59:51 AM »
@austin87 thanks for that, I missed that post last month and it's a very interesting way to cook duck. So if understand correctly, you saved the duck fat as grease to cook breakfast eggs and other stuff later?

@addicted-to-smoke yep. For St. Patrick's day I did something like this http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014541-duck-fat-roasted-potatoes - duck fat fried potatoes (eggs, or anything really) are to die for. I also save bacon grease in a little tupperware in fridge and will use that to cook eggs (or mushrooms or onions, etc.,) instead of oil or butter. But duck fat is basically liquid gold and you can use it for anything. You might be able to buy some at a higher end grocery store too.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »
Oh wow I'll have to check that out. Yeah I use bacon grease for eggs in the CI for breakfast.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 04:28:06 AM »
Hey @addicted-to-smoke and @chuck s , thanks for the tip on that cajun butcher shop. I tried the deboned chicken stuffed with crawfish, chicken sausage (only sausage that was kid friendly), and their wings... and loved it all! I did not add any seasoning to any of it. Great spot.

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 04:30:28 AM »
glad to hear it.....

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 05:49:46 AM »
Sounds great Grill_Jitsu but where's the photo ??

:)

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 08:25:54 AM »
Ah yes of course. I just happened to have snagged a few pics. [emoji106]🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »
Pudgy little devil ain't he?

That looks fabulous !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 09:10:28 AM »
Aw yeah that's the stuff(ing)! Crawfish and chicken sausage? Looks like rice LOL. Thanks!

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 03:59:48 AM »
Yeah it was mostly rice stuffing with some crawfish thrown in here and there.... the chicken sausage was a different item. They were in link form.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 07:51:29 PM »
Very nice fella's - looks like a feast 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E