Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A Story of 2 Fowls  (Read 4050 times)

chuck s

• WKC Brave
A Story of 2 Fowls
« on: April 22, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »
Addicted-To-Smoke and Chuck S got together again for another try at something new.  This time was for some Duck and Chicken.   Both birds came from a GREAT local butcher and were pre-season and stuffed.  Duck was stuffed with sausage and the chicken was boneless stuffed with cornbread.

While we were putting all of this in place we had to be "In the Mood" to keep all focused on the task at hand!   Of course the only way to do that was with the perfect Peruvian Pipes. 

The real issue was did we do the duck correctly ...... Answer = YES

The end result gave us a plate of duck and chicken with carrot and raisin salad, mashed potatoes, and green been casserole (not shown)

After a GREAT meal it was time for desert..... oh oh grill is out - ok start a new chimney. 

This fire gave us ability to grill some peaches

End result was a tasty peach with ricotta cheese dribbled with  a brown sugar balsamic reduction.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: A Story of 2 Fowls
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
Way ta HUMMMMM guys !!!

Seems ganging up on these chickens & things is the way to go......group mind grilling....I get it.....  8) 8) 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 04:40:13 PM »
PS: The duck looks perfect !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »
Holy crap, the ATL has got it going on!
Like these WKC team cooks.
Makes me wish there were more members around me.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
Nice!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:48:13 PM »
First off that's an amazing looking cook! Great work! That duck looks amazing.

Secondly South Park has forever ruined Peruvian flute bands for me. Ha!

WTB: Genesis Jr.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 08:30:39 PM »
Looks great! The duck I did was so good.

@chuck s and @addicted-to-smoke is there a place for more pics of the wooden cart? Very cool!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 02:45:14 AM »
Austin ... maybe later. I think I had a few images from when we went to pick it up last year but can't find.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 04:22:38 AM »
Dang you guys are busting down some new doors! Going after the duck, which looks great btw, and also grilling up some peaches! How did the other fowl fare?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 04:29:51 AM »
The chicken was great. chuck s got both meats here, you might know the place: http://www.cajunmeatcompany.com

OK here we go. This isn't a current picture, it now has a zavod44 handle and some vertical dividers on the right to organize some accessories. The guy who originally had the WSM also built the cart. It's cedar and very sturdy. What you can't see is 6 casters beneath it. The dude had also flattened and installed a Weber 7401 tool holder on one end.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 11:06:57 PM »
Dang that cart is some serious heavy duty. I'd still like to build my own performer at some point, but I have too many projects on the list to tackle first.

Thanks for sharing!

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 04:21:47 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke I've seen the place as I sometimes stop in the Brewmasters Warehouse for brewing kits, but I've never stopped in. I will remedy that this weekend! Just looking at the menu and their prices don't seem unreasonable. That turducken looks interesting, too.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 02:08:11 AM »
mighty fine looking birds there, Chuck!  The only time I've cooked a whole duck was in the oven with the skin scored just down to the meat, to release the fat, but I don't see any of that here.  Do you not have to do that to whole duck on the grill?

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 03:02:07 AM »
Grizz - this was the 1st time for duck for me also.  The duck was stuffed and fully prepared by the meat shop but other than the front and back openings there was no "scoring" on the skin.  Every grill book I referred to basically said - treat it like a chicken - so I did.  I know that it was over the minimum 165 degree temp but I'm pretty sure it was less than 180.  Addicted-to-smoke might remember the temp and have some added insight. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 05:30:19 AM »
Don't remember any temps. Did we even take meat temps? I don't recall the duck being too fatty inside, so if duck is inherently more fatty than chicken I suspect the butcher dealt with that ahead of time when taking innards out/stuffing it at the shop.

Still trying to understand how they deboned the chicken while leaving the legs and wings on. Modern Science! Witchcraft!