Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Suggestions for a cook for 15  (Read 6163 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Suggestions for a cook for 15
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 01:32:19 PM »
@1buckie so just to reassure myself, if I throw this 8lb bad boy on at 6am and keep the temp at 260-275 f I'll be good to go at 4ish? Or would I be better off starting around 2am and keeping temps around 225?

Yeah, the early morning route might be best......start 5~6 & just go back to sleep for a bit if you want.......was just trying to set out various possible maps so you could pick what seems most comfortable to you.....everybody's different in terms of early / late risers, length of day, etc.

One thing that gets to me is getting too tired near the end of a cooking stretch & not being ready at serving time to ALSO enjoy the meal & the company.....all that's important too.....it has to be fun or else why would we do this stuff !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »
@1buckie thanks for the suggestions! I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe I'll include some pics of the finished product.
Crate n Barrel Grass Green - Target Copper - Blue OTG - 14 & 18 WSM

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 01:57:45 PM »
Cool beans......I try to take a pic or 3 all along the way.....helps me remember what went well, how it set up, what to watch for, how much people enjoyed it, & the finished pieces for posterity !!!!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 06:38:31 PM »
@1buckie I just got a pair of bear claws back in February for my birthday. I haven't gotten to use them yet so looking forward to it. So, I'm thinking I'll start at 11pm or so. I'll check a few times through the night just to make sure the temp of the grill is ok bc i'm paranoid like that. Then I'll foil and towel it and slap in a cooler.

@1911Ron I've got a performer and otg but I may be borrowing a WSM from a buddy down the street. I've smoked plenty on the kettles but never used a WSM. So, I'm kinda leery to use something I dont have experience with. Would you suggest I stay with my kettle or try out the WSM?
I would stick to what you know and learn the WSM at a later date.
@1buckie so just to reassure myself, if I throw this 8lb bad boy on at 6am and keep the temp at 260-275 f I'll be good to go at 4ish? Or would I be better off starting around 2am and keeping temps around 225?
You should be ok at 275 or so, if you want you could start earlier if you wanted say 5?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

seasoned1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 02:45:20 PM »
a butt isn't done by time as it is done by temp and should be cooked to 190 to 195 for pulled pork. I usually smoke for 10 to 12 hours at 225 until I hit that temp. so I would start early and when it hits that temp you can double foil wrap it and keep It hot in a cooler that I pour boiling water in prior to putting the foiled pork in. I also wrap a towel around it and it will stay hot for several hours.

seasoned1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 02:46:50 PM »
by the way pour the boiled water out before adding the butt.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 02:49:53 PM »
a butt isn't done by time as it is done by temp and should be cooked to 190 to 195 for pulled pork. I usually smoke for 10 to 12 hours at 225 until I hit that temp. so I would start early and when it hits that temp you can double foil wrap it and keep It hot in a cooler that I pour boiling water in prior to putting the foiled pork in. I also wrap a towel around it and it will stay hot for several hours.
I don't go by temp any more because every piece of meat is different, i will use an ice pick or a Thermapen to probe a butt or brisket and if it slides in real easy it's done.  ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 05:24:10 AM »
So here's what I did... butt went on at 6am. Kept temps for the most part around 280. Pulled it at 3 when temps were 199. Foiled and toweled it, stuck in a cooler for 2 hours. It stayed plenty hot and pulled apart incredibly easy.

@1buckie Only pick I got was right before I pulled it. Everything went way too fast after that.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:39:06 AM by VAis4BBQers »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 05:47:40 AM »
VAis4BBQers that looks like perfection, and from your description of how easily it pulled apart I'm betting it was. Nicely done sir.

Don't know if eating at 5 vs 4 like you said earlier was planned or delayed but that extra hour in the cooler helped I suppose?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 05:53:16 AM »
Honestly I'm not sure if wrapping it did anything. It about broke in half when I was taking it off the grill. The only reason I wrapped it was to keep it hot until everything else was ready to go. Either way, wrapping or not, it would have been pretty good! Thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 06:01:08 AM »
... It about broke in half when I was taking it off the grill. ...

LOL well I suppose that's OK too! I take mine to about that temp also but they never pull apart super easy, and the ones I've done aren't big, either, 7lbs or less.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 06:03:19 AM »
It was fun. Definitely looking fwd to doing it again. I might try injecting next time. The only thing I did to the meat was a little bit of rub.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 08:14:06 AM »
Honestly I'm not sure if wrapping it did anything. It about broke in half when I was taking it off the grill. The only reason I wrapped it was to keep it hot until everything else was ready to go. Either way, wrapping or not, it would have been pretty good! Thanks!

"stuck in a cooler for 2 hours. It stayed plenty hot and pulled apart incredibly easy. "

Looks great......personally, I think wrapping changes the whole deal.....for the better......and a certain amount of resting, wrapped......give it a short breather to stop the cooking or slow it considerably, then seal up.........
gives the piece a chance to level & absorb the moisture all thru evenly......

people "rest" turkeys from the oven, steaks, even done in a broiler or pan, roasts.....all kinds of recipes call for at least a short rest after cooking....why not this that you've put so much time into to get to come out well ....?

As far as it falling apart trying to move it....try a decent, thick, medium size towel, wrapped around, using a hand on either side......
I've done this for years, along with using a serrated bread knife for almost everything......

Thought I was just a daffy goofball.....until I saw that Aaron Franklin did both of those things religiously.....felt slightly vindicated...... 8) :o 8)

or if it's really coming apart, just roll it onto a piece of foil right on the grate........
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:28:28 AM by 1buckie »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 08:39:43 AM »
* Wrapping in foil, either loosely or tightly, sounds to me like extending the time the meat continues to "cook itself" away from the heat source.

* Tightly wrapped keeps more moisture in.

Is that a fair summary?

When I read that someone "foiled" the meat it's as if some or most of that is assumed but I seldom know which. For example some meats are foiled and then put BACK on the grill, which accelerates (keeps heat in) or decelerates (insulates from heat)?

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »
My guess would be it retains the moisture. But not too sure, I only did it to keep it hot for a few extra hours until all food was ready to go. I may try doing another this weekend. Not one so large though. Maybe 4#