Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Indirect cooking techniques  (Read 23256 times)

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
Re: Indirect cooking techniques
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 11:37:31 AM »
I like it, a lot !! But what if you did a bent form like an "L" over the charcoal grate giving full damper control and blocking under flow of cold air
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 12:16:17 PM »
I like it, a lot !! But what if you did a bent form like an "L" over the charcoal grate giving full damper control and blocking under flow of cold air
i thought it would need the airflow to keep the charcoal burning and for temp control?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
i thought it would need the airflow to keep the charcoal burning and for temp control?

It should pull through. Lid vent opposite the coals. Heat should flow over like a convection oven possibly. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Can always cut it off if it doesn't work. Might be the "Million Dollar" idea...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »

If it goes all the way down, might not be enough air to keep it burning clean & if the air's pulling from over the top it may lead to runaway burn........

I've learned it's almost always best to have whatever's lit farthest away from the air inlet & burn toward your air source
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »

I think he means to bend it and it would be on top of the grate, under the meat. This would keep cold air from coming up, around the meat, and out the top. All the air from the bottom vent would only go to the coals.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »
I think it's an engenius design Hogsy! I made a large charcoal basket that works for everything, but I bet yours would sell a boatload. The only issue I have with banking coals is that when you do a lot of cooking against the metal bowl they start to spall and craze.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »
I think it's an engenius design Hogsy! I made a large charcoal basket that works for everything, but I bet yours would sell a boatload. The only issue I have with banking coals is that when you do a lot of cooking against the metal bowl they start to spall and craze.
Yeah that was my next question, would it create spalling?
My charcoal basket does fit in there so maybe I'll just use it
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »

I think he means to bend it and it would be on top of the grate, under the meat. This would keep cold air from coming up, around the meat, and out the top. All the air from the bottom vent would only go to the coals.

exactly!!!
Sorry I didn't get back sooner I was sleeping I work thirds.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »

Gotcha.....meaning a small bend / flair at the coal grate level, back towards the center ?

Or....Maybe we should not mess with perfection, before it's even tested ?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:48:41 PM by 1buckie »

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 12:05:10 AM »
Ok you something like this

That's the next part. It will have to be in 2 pieces - the bottom plate and the piece I've already made otherwise I won't be able to get it to work with the grate
                            WKC Collaborator

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 12:25:18 AM »

Yeah, well.....

You already got all this figgered out, eh?

are you some kind of scientist, or something ?

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 12:28:41 AM »
Well I'd like to think so Buckie....but no I'm just a mild mannered kettle head ;D
                            WKC Collaborator

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:57 AM »

Yeah, well.....

You already got all this figgered out, eh?

are you some kind of scientist, or something ?

Hogsy, that is exactly what I had pictured in my head. I really thing it will work.
Now, define "Spalling". I am so green...

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 05:08:21 AM »
Ya that's the ticket!! Now just have the two pieces join at the charcoal grate so as not to impede the dampers and you sir will be the man!!!! ;)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 06:15:45 AM »
Guys, are you not concerned that dripping food will muss that shield on the coal grate?

Overkill IMO.