Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM first run  (Read 3251 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
WSM first run
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »
Finally got some time and good weather earlier this week and I seasoned my new 22 WSM. Full 18 lb bag of KBB and a full lit chimney, all vents wide open, got her up to 412 on the maverick. Didn't think it would get that hot. Held there for a good amount of time.

Next day I emptied out the ash, loaded her up again with a full load with some hickory and 10lbs of chicken legs. Got up to 373. I let cook all day. When it died down I emptied it out and waited for today.

Picked up a small pack of baby backs from Costco (3 half racks) last night. Trimmed them up. Rubbed them down with some oil and meatheads Memphis dust. Wrapped them up and put them away till today.
Here is one rubbed up

Getting the chimney fired up

Got it up to 225, put them on with 1 apple and cherry chunk.

Ran pretty hot with the 2 chunks going, up to 275, finally settled in at

Will update when the meal is served.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: WSM first run
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:35:43 AM »
Pic threw the vent

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 12:30:52 PM »
I love my WSM!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »
Gotta get used to this thing. Definitely runs a little hot. Next time I will definitely use water in the pan.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 01:07:17 PM »
Nice! I like the peek through the vent, be patient!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 01:15:59 PM »
My 18.5" often runs a bit hotter "than I expect" (settles into mid-high 200s with vents nearly shut down) but I'm beginning to think starting with a mostly full charcoal ring + small lit chimney may have something to do with that. ;)

I stopped using water, too much hassle right now. The few times I used it, I can't say it "lessened" the heat (it's meant to stabilize heat moreso, yes?) But if you go that route try to use hot water so that the machine doesn't waste time bringing tap water up to speed and throwing off your initial temp reading.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 01:20:30 PM »
I love my WSMs. Water in the pan will cause the interior of the WSM to get a brown film on it. My advice would be not to use water. Let the gunk get all hard and black. That will seal up a lot of your air gaps and make it easier to keep temps down. Also start shutting down your vents 30-40f shy of your target temp.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »
Ok so these turned out ok. Not my best ribs, but definitely not the worst. The wife likes sauce so here's that

Off the smoker. 4 hours between the temps of 243-275.

Plated. Really juicy, could have used more smoke, bark was perfect.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 02:51:17 PM »
Love my WSM (22)!  Stabilizing the temps got easier over time as grease builds up.  I run my lower vents almost closed, leave the top wide open.

Exterior wind is about the only thing that makes me  have to fight temps.

Your ribs look good!
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 03:36:42 PM »
Those look pretty nice from here !!!

Just the right amount of juicy......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 04:25:26 PM »
I'd say you have it down, the ribs look great!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »
Thanks guys, yeah they were cooked good, just needed more smoke and maybe cook a little longer. They were pretty fatty.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 06:43:22 PM »
My 22 has been used for about 45 to 50 cooks. The more seasoned it gets the better my food gets. If you can get some meat scrapes from the butcher to season that thing some more I'd say do it. And do stay away from using water in that pan. Get the inside so it is tacky dark black and you are on the way.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 03:56:05 AM »
Mrhoss, thanks. I will pick up some scraps. Should I go high heat or try and keep it nice and low with some smoke? Do you foil your water pan?

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 06:35:33 AM »
Ribs look great!
I love my 22 wsm, I do like to use water in mine, but might have to try it without it sometime. Mine tends to like to sit at about 275 too. When it's about 20-30 degrees away from my target temp I close down two of the three bottom vents and just control it with one bottom vent. Generally when it gets to where I want it, I'll have that last vent nearly completely closed too, and it will sit at constant temp for 8-10+ hours.
Like others said too, the more you use it the better it gets!