Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Good cheap knife  (Read 2219 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Good cheap knife
« on: April 16, 2015, 05:47:04 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NXC5ZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought one of these. It's sharp as hell. Great for trimming. Cuts paper thin slices of tomato. Amazon reviews are pretty good. Cheap enough to beat it up and get a new one a year or so later. Comes with sharpener that keeps its edge really sharp.

I got the 7.5" and it's a good size. I have some decent knives but find myself using this frequently when slicing, trimming, boning, i.e., not chopping.

Pretty sure I first saw it in Meathead's Amazing Ribs website, for giving credit where due.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Good cheap knife
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 06:48:17 PM »
dude you should try the KIWI knives

you can buy them at your local Thai grocery for about 3 bucks, but even at 8 bucks on amazon they're a CRAZY good deal.
I've been using the same 3 for 3 or 4 years now and they're my go-to knives. I use them more than I use my globals.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 06:55:04 PM »
Nice, thanks! I'll definitely be able to find a Thai grocer in San Mateo next time I'm looking. So far so good with this guy.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 03:47:38 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NXC5ZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought one of these. It's sharp as hell. Great for trimming. Cuts paper thin slices of tomato. Amazon reviews are pretty good. Cheap enough to beat it up and get a new one a year or so later. Comes with sharpener that keeps its edge really sharp.

I got the 7.5" and it's a good size. I have some decent knives but find myself using this frequently when slicing, trimming, boning, i.e., not chopping.

Pretty sure I first saw it in Meathead's Amazing Ribs website, for giving credit where due.

That's what I'd call a boning knife (and the Amazon link refers to it as a filet knife, presumably for filleting fish, so ...)

And so my question is, is that one a single bevel or double bevel blade?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
Kiwi knives definitely sharp. That's what the employees use at Seafood City.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 07:34:03 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke I used to work in a butcher shop in college and still have my old scabbard. Two boning knives and a skinning knife (I can shave with all of those). The Rapala is definitely a double beveled blade and I would call it more of a boning knife. It will flex a little more than my actual boning knives (Victorinox) but isn't nearly as flexible as many filet knives I have seen.

I'll definitely check out Kiwi next time but for $15 delivered to my door I'm pretty happy with the Rapala.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:23:30 AM by austin87 »

jmwhite

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 11:40:14 AM »
I just picked up an 8" Kiwi at the local asian market.  We'll see....was only $5-6.  Perfect for the outdoor cutting board.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 12:33:23 PM »
Agree with Troy, Kiwi knives are the best!!!
I've been using them for years and they make prepping so easy.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 01:19:59 PM »
there are things i can do with that veggie clever (one on left) that I can't do with any of my other knives

I don't have the bigger one on the right though, i need to find that one.
i need to find a thai grocery!!

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »
@Troy
+1 on the veggie clever. You can find all you need here: http://importfood.com/thai_knives.html1
Excellent service and fast delivery.