Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow Electric Kettle  (Read 23345 times)

SixZeroFour

Re: Yellow Electric Kettle
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 08:42:02 AM »
@GregS 8)

Dan that is so cool, and the fact that its yellow pushes it over the top! What a great way to start off "hunting season" ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:43:45 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 08:45:41 AM »
thanks six!

dan that's just awesome.  so glad you ended up with this! 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 12:28:01 PM »
Great find Dan!!! A knob of a genesis should fit at least they do on the gas kettles and it looks to be the same D shape
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 03:24:25 PM »
SCORE! You can get a 3d printed knob (Yes, I am serious.).

Do you know, or does anyone here know of someone with this capability?  It would be great to get an exact match.  For now I am going to look at the hardware store for a knob that will fit.

Yeah, shoot me a pm. Basically you will need to find an original knob, model it in cad, then have it printed. Printing costs vary by part size, material, resolution, etc. There are alot of services out there that can also do this for you. http://www.shapeways.com/ is a good place to start.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »
@Hogsy Thanks for the tip about the knob. I picked up a generic black one at Ace today to use to try the grill out.

I dug the grease caked lava rocks out of the grill and scraped some of the gunk off of the pan.  I plugged it into the outlet on the side of the house and turned the knob. The light came on and the element started to smoke. I put the lid on and waited for it to warm up.

I soon realized nothing was happening. I looked and it appeared that the light was off. When I took the lid off it was obvious that it wasn't heating.  I assumed that it must of been too much load for that circuit and had popped the breaker.  I carried the grill over to the electric service pole where I have an outdoor outlet on a dedicated service. I plugged it in there and it immediately tripped the GFI protection button.

I took the element pan out of the grill to clean it up a little more. While it was out I tried plugging the grill back in. This time it did not trip the GFI reset. This tells me that there might be something going on with the element.

Does anyone have any ideas or help?

Thanks,
Dan
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 04:19:33 PM »
@Dan NY 
Hope these pics help.  My red electric is an 18.  I'm not positive if your grease cup should be a different size since yours is a 22.  Here are some measurements too.

Kettle collector AND cooker!

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 04:28:17 PM »
@Jeff  Thank you very much for those photos. Mine is also an 18.5 but it is a different model number than yours.  I am hoping that I can find a stainless dish similar to your grease pan and then I can make the holder by bending a piece if stainless rod. Could you get an approximate measurement of the diameter of the rod that makes your holder?  Thanks.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »
I took the element pan out of the grill to clean it up a little more. While it was out I tried plugging the grill back in. This time it did not trip the GFI reset. This tells me that there might be something going on with the element.

Does anyone have any ideas or help?

Dan, maybe it's been so long since it was fired up, it was just rarin' to go !!!!!

Seriously, though, I've had different old style heater, hotplates, fryers & things that are like this......sometimes, they are just finicky when you start them up after a dormant period......

If it does go out, there are places these things can be found......this place has 215 items on the bake / broil element list, a lot don't have pics, but there are old-timers that take one look at stuff like that say "Oh, yeah...there's one of those in back...."

https://www.appliancepartscompany.com/catalog/RAOE/

And, I bet I could find that exact knob in a 2nd hand store on an old floor heater......this is America, these things are still out there, just like the kettles.................
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Yellow Electric Kettle
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 08:30:12 PM »
If it's tripping your GFI it might be grounding out somewhere , look for cracks or damage where it might be arcing against the bowl , check the cord for damage as well .

" Esto Perpertua "
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:31:59 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 08:44:08 PM »
If it's tripping your GFI it might be grounding out somewhere , look for cracks or damage where it might be arcing against the bowl , check the cord for damage as well .

" Esto Perpertua "

That's ther other thought I had, but was electrically challenged for a moment..... :o

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 03:28:20 AM »
If someone has data for this knob contact me, we have eight of these machines.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 07:04:37 AM »

" Esto Perpertua "

That's ther other thought I had, but was electrically challenged for a moment..... :o

" Esto Perpertua "

I think you are right. It never blew a breaker, it just popped the GFI.  I think I'll make sure the wires are not shorting on anything and then I'll plug it into a non GFI outlet to give it another try.

If it turns out that the element is bad, I found a place that makes custom elements for old electric ovens that are long out of production. Maybe they could make me a new element.

And, I bet I could find that exact knob in a 2nd hand store on an old floor heater......this is America, these things are still out there, just like the kettles.................

I would guess Weber originally sourced these from another company who also supplied other manufacturers. So I bet you are right. There has to be more of these knobs out there somewhere.

Thanks for all the help everyone. :)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 07:06:33 AM »
Thanks for all the help everyone. :)

Thank you for the rescue !!!!

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 07:24:05 AM »
If someone has data for this knob contact me, we have eight of these machines.....

@zavod44

If Jeff could remove his knob and take detailed measurements and photos, would that be enough for someone to create a CAD drawing? Or would they need to have a knob in front of them to draw it?

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2015, 07:28:08 AM »
I could have someone here make it.  Jeff who has one?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X