Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: new ashcan setup, thank you, chefn58!  (Read 2044 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
new ashcan setup, thank you, chefn58!
« on: April 13, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »
@chefn58 and I swapped ashcan setups, my lightly-used 7409-based hardware for new, '15 gear. Just got it installed today and it works great. Added the obligatory 1/4, 1/2 and 1/1 intake markings via Sharpie.

The hose clamps I bought were too small to be easily installed, a maximum of 1 3/4". I only managed to get two on--barely--but the third necessitated bowl removal for better access. And yes, I'd bent back the tops of the tabs on the ashcan ring. (thank you, @mike.stavlund for that previous tip.)

So out came some tools and minor cursing in the rain but got it all done in time to cook dinner on it. Looking at this, it's the same type of stuff I was doing 25-30 years ago with my Chevy, only on a smaller scale and this beast cooks delicious food instead of tires. A fair trade IMO.

Pre-cleanup:

But the hardest part by far was installing the 7444 ash sweeps. I just don't see how that's supposed to be a 1 person job. Had a heck of a time pushing the blade centers in far enough so that the underside hole could extend far enough. Managed to grab the dangly bits with pliers and pull while pushing in the rod ... if they only put a small bevel on the tip of the rod it would help? Coulda used a third hand. So yeah I'm whining about that, but it's exactly the sort of annoyance that causes Regular Citizens to trash their grills and go buy something else.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: new ashcan setup, thank you, chefn58!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:21:18 PM »
Can't wait to see this one all done and running! I'd love a stainless steel red head. I've had the same problem installing new ash sweeps, I can make it happen, but kind of a pain...oh well first world problems

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:25:44 PM »
"to grab the dangly bits................"

I feel poetry in the air............... 8) :D

Good job, you're set to go !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:27:54 PM »
whats weird, is that the 7444 seems to install just fine on newer grills.
but on old grills it's a bitch. I wonder if the thicker metal/porcelain is causing problems?

Anyhoo, i usually manually bevel the edge of the handle with some sandpaper. takes an extra minute, but saves several minutes (and dozens of swears)

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:55:31 PM »
I'am glad I saw your post. I've been waiting for my replacement parts to come to fix my red ss and was curious if the new parts would fit since the old ash catcher had a bar that held the catcher on and the new one doesn't.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »
OK now I don't feel like such a wimp about it. What's also weird is that the underside of the kettle's central hole doesn't have paint anymore, so it should be "thinner" than original.

WNC you may be disappointed. This is my only standard size kettle and so gets frequent use for anything my 'ol 18.5" can't muster. It and the surrounding area is rarely "pic worthy." Maybe in a week or so when the freakin' Spring rains stop ...

@Qreps if you search here for "7409" (the old sweeps) or something like "ash can ring" I think you'll find earlier examples of conversions secured by hose clamps. If you don't make my mistake, and buy longer ones you won't have to remove your kettle for access or leverage. A 2"-2 1/2" hose clamp should work so long as it isn't too thick to go through the holes in the ash can ring.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 07:38:48 PM »
Thanks for the advise addicted-to-smoke