Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: smoking dog jerky treats?  (Read 4355 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
smoking dog jerky treats?
« on: April 08, 2015, 03:48:12 PM »
This may get transferred to another forum header.  Sorry if in wrong spot.

If you have weber grills..high chance you have a dog (s)

Anyone else smoke jerky treats for their pets?

Our wsms get fired up and smoke all types of jerky treats for our puppy...

Anybody else smoking them jerky treats?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:02:51 AM by toolhead »
Grills

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: is this the right forum to discuss smoking dog jerky treats?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 03:57:02 PM »
No, not yet.....but the wife & I have discussed this over & over....

we gotta do something, for two reasons....

The kinds of treats they like & eat a lot of are being constantly recalled because of toxic Chinese ducks & chickens.....and,  they eat like pigs in dog suits...... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 04:23:26 PM »
I haven't done dog jerky treats but I have done bones. Depending on the size of your dog, you can smoke beef or pork bones - go with something like leg bones, large neck bones, or knuckle. I think ribs (especially pork) are too small  to be chew toys. They can fracture and dogs can choke on them.

You will probably need to find a whole animal butcher, I don't think you will find bones that size in the local grocery store. Think of a veal or lamb shank... You want that bone, but from a cow. Lamb/veal shank may work for a smaller dog, just please do be careful that they are the right size and err on the bigger side!

If you can find them, smoke them until they are well done. Your pup will be extra happy if the bones still have some meat on them rather than being completely scraped clean.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:24:47 PM by austin87 »

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 04:30:50 PM »
To do just treats, I would get the cheapest cut of beef you can find (clod or chuck aren't too expensive but I would go with something leaner if you can find it) and cut them into 1-2 inch squares and smoke until mostly dry. You want to be able to store them at room temperature without risking them spoiling. I would not put any salt/pepper/seasoning on them.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 05:15:39 PM »
We have been doing this for a while.

Natural bison or pork jerky treats run $55 per lb.

Top round is great for beef jerky...no seasoning..smoke at 150-200 degrees.    Same process for chicken ..salmon..pork belly..tripe etc.

Post jerky weight cost is around $12 lb for usda choice beef jerky.

That based on $5lb for the top round post smoking weight..you lose around 60% water weight.

Big cost savings..human grade food quality and great excuse tobfire up the wsm
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 05:39:33 PM »
I'm confused. Is this regular jerky you're making, or is it that only your dog likes jerky?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 03:56:24 AM »
Jerky has only been made for the puppy so far.

The only cooking difference is puppy jerky...no seasonings added.

The rest of the process is the same.

S/w natural pet store early on and they said all the natural jerky treats are smoked ...or dehydrated...so basically same process for any jerky

Grills

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 12:38:22 PM »
So are you basically cutting it into strips?  How long are you smoking it for?

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »
Slice into 1/8 -1/4 strips..partially freeze meat to make it easier to slice.

Pop meat on when smoker holds steady at 150-200..

I dont use water in the wsm as the basis is to dehydrate.....when making jerky.

Check it in about 2.5-3 hrs...you may want to rotate meat as you will see hot spots based on which meat turns darker first

Meat is ready by eye check.

When it turns rosy brown and you can bend it without shapping. And you see white strands when bending the strip..it is ready.

We smoke  full wsm loads...freeze the bulk and leave weeks supply in fridge.

The first several times you may overthink and overcook the jerkyy.

After making jerky 3-4 times .the process will be much less of a labour as the process becomes more familiar and easy.

I dont toss the fatty pieces which i trim off.

Rather i keep those sectioned off and feed those same day to our puppy.

Our puppy gets pretty excited when the wsm gets fired up..its like thanksgiving day dinner.

If you dont have a smoker..you can do this on a kettle to try..but you wont have much surface area..if it works out...recommend smoker.

Itll pay itself back within six months in treats savings

We havent bought treats from pet stores since the wsm landed

Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
After the 3 hours milestone. Some of the smaller strips..top racks and outer wdge place strips will be ready...i move the less cooked pieces into the hot spots and move top rack to lower and lower rack to top and then on half hr intervals check/remove done pieces.

We tend to eat some of the fatty pieces as even not seasoned..given inadd some hickory chunks..its pretty dang tasty
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »
1buckie......theres easy math to make the wsm purchase.(or if you have one ...light er up)..itll pay for itself in six months...

80% cost savings and great excuse to keep the wsm fired up monthly
Grills

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 03:43:33 PM »
Beef jerky/dried meat snacks are pretty expensive compared to raw meat on a $/lb basis because fresh meat loses a ton of weight in moisture. 3/1-5/1 raw to jerky depending on how dry the final product is.

That's also why if you have ever eaten a pound of jerky on a road trip you get, ahem, backed up or constipated.. It's like eating 3-5 lbs of raw meat, but the jerky dehydrates you and requires a ton of liquid from your system to digest.

So @1buckie and @toolhead yes there is great savings on making your own dog treats (or jerky for human consumption).

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 03:57:09 PM »
Yup..agreed...part of the thirst for human jerky is related to the salt/salty seasonings used in human jerky.

Without seasonings..still dry meat...puppy drinks a lot of water after jerky treats..

I did my math based on precook weight and then post cook weight with a food scale.

The 60% weight loss is fairly consisten across beef/chicken/salmon...by the time i did pork belly i stopped weighing.

The 80-85% cost savings doesnt include charcoal costs..so back of the napkin math...you can reduce savings to 75%.

But ..add back the food grade quality of meat being used and the cost savings accelerates back upwards to 100%..

Just sharing a cost savings method of feeding our pets better while another excuse to play with more charcoal...

Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »
That continual cost savings is a great play when making your next kettle run buy when the your better half says.."another one??"
Grills

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: smoking dog jerky treats?
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 11:36:15 AM »
Thanks for the info, going to have to give these a try for our new puppy.