Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is it heresy...  (Read 6716 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Is it heresy...
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 09:21:45 PM »

These are my favorite handles- @zavod44 can you cnc these out of Koa for me?  :D
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 09:56:38 PM »
I had the dark plastic handles on my kettle when I picked it up, but you can't tell me these light wood @zavod44 handles don't look awesome on the dark green kettle

I'll need some wood, maybe dark, to go on the black 18.5" OTG I just picked up.

I do think wood makes for easier handling of the lid than plastic when doing high heat cooks. But if you are happy, then all the more power to you. And more wood handles for me  ;)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 03:36:03 AM »

These are my favorite handles- @zavod44 can you cnc these out of Koa for me?  :D

If you do the data work I'll try to cut them
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 05:18:41 AM »
^^ That curved plastic style ... I don't mind it too much on my WSM but truly dislike it on kettle lids, because with kettle lids I'm lifting and turning the lid at an angle to hang it or to roll it back into a lid bale. And the curve, while conforming to the hand better, limits the leverage there, so you have to turn or rotate your hand more. With a straight, flat handle it's easier to accomplish the task.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 05:21:55 AM »
To each their own. The kettles will perform just as well and the food will taste every bit as good on a plastic handle kettle. There was a time when I thought my mid 60s 18.5 needed to have a modern OTS leg kit because I wanted it to have an "upgraded look" this was when I was starting out.

It has long since been put back to original legs, pan and metal wheels.

Of the plastics, I DO have a sneaking admiration for the newer dark grey ones but after I slapped a set of walnut stained Zavod transitionals on my crimson OTG, the issue was settled. ;)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 07:29:00 AM »
I rescued an 18" OTG last year and it came with the above white handles. 
Had to replace them with some custom mahogany zavs.  I believe it looks a million times better with wood … IMHO.  :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 07:31:58 AM »

@Craig , did you use double-rivet handles for the bowl straps on the above kettle?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 08:35:33 AM »
@MacEggs  Those are modern single screw @zavod44 made in the style and profile of the double rivet handles. They are just like the early '81-'82 era single screw handles. My personal favorite style!

On the current dark/charcoal grey handles, I guess its a matter of personal taste but I do like them paired with a dark blue/periwinkle kettle or a lime SJ/Performer. It gives the blue kettles a very "modern" look & feel . Maybe its because the last of the blue kettles came with them? I don't know. Having said that, classic wood is always my first choice.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 05:57:10 AM »
I'm reviving an older thread to admit that I am starting to come around to the wooden handles.  After I picked up a Red MT with wooden handles, the wooden handles really started to grow on me.  I still like the look of the newer plastic ones, but I the wooden handles are growing on me.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 07:56:21 AM »
They each have their place.  I really like those newer plastic handles with the built in hooks for my 22.5" WSM.  It makes a great place to hang my iGrill when I don't have a table set up next to it.  There is no replacement for the looks of a good old (or new) wooden handle though.
-Keith

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 10:15:52 AM »
on the older style kettle handles with the two knobs I use wood handles

However in the many of the newer models the handles are flat without the knobs so the wood handles can spin.

So in these cases I use plastic.
I fancy the ones with the tool holders.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 10:23:37 AM »
I admire the classic look of he woods & but the side hook feature of the new dark plastics had me sawing notches on my light plastics...

I plan to get woods & tap a small screw/hook behind (out of view) to add this feature...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »
I plan to get woods & tap a small screw/hook behind (out of view) to add this feature...

@Metal Mike , similar to what I did here?  Works great, BTW.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/handles-was-not-aware-of-this/msg102732/#msg102732

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »

@Metal Mike , similar to what I did here?  Works great, BTW.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/handles-was-not-aware-of-this/msg102732/#msg102732

That is a solid solution.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »
@MacEggs Brilliant work, I was more referencing a tool hanging mod but that is a grate tutorial to stabilize spinners.
I have yet to concept the mod, but don't want to saw @ anymore plastic handles (I almost scratched my Blue's bowl..)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE